Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives I have a kolpak freezer door with a model

• I have a kolpak freezer door with a model

Posted by guest on October 11, 2016 at 12:00 am

I have a kolpak freezer door with a model # 18713 and I don’t see it listed in the model numbers. Can I get parts for this unit ?

fixbear replied 7 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • john

October 11, 2016 at 8:34 am

Hi Kevin,

That model number seems to be off a bit–here’s a handy guide to find a Kolpak serial plate!

I hope this helps!

John

• john

October 11, 2016 at 8:58 am

Here’s how to find the serial plate on a Kolpak walk-in:

• ectofix

October 12, 2016 at 5:18 am

Typical walk-in coolers/freezer packages aren’t assembly-line products. There are simply too many possible configurations.   Therefore, the identifying data found on the various components don’t fall within the conventional practices we normally use for identifying parts on standard appliances like stoves, fryers, REACH-IN freezers, etc.

The many variables that make up a particular walk-in are things like:

The box dimensions and layout (the actual walk-in ROOM), the door size, the door swing, the type of hinges, the door frame, the door latch, the walls and ceiling height, type of lights, the voltage everything requires, the type of thermometer next to the door, whether the box is indoor or outdoor, the refrigeration system components and even the floor…are all uniquely specified during a box’s UNIQUE design.

Most of those components are specified by a dedicated engineer’s tailor-made plans, which ultimately translates into a materials list of off-the-shelf building blocks…which gets shipped to the site and constructed by an outside contractor.

SO, identifying parts for W/Is can’t categorically be done based upon a conventional model number of the entire package.  Instead of a model number, there will be an I.D. number and a serial number located on the door frame – both of which are UNIQUE only to that one box.

One of those two numbers correlates to the what I refer to as its BUILD NUMBER (MY term for it).  From that, a walk-in manufacturer should be able to access their records of that particular “”build number” and tell you what parts you need…based upon its ORIGINAL construction.

If your box is not too old, then they can provide part numbers for what you need – within limits.  Call Kolpak directly to get details for specific part numbers to replace things like a door gasket, the hinges, the door handle and such.  From my experience with Kolpak, they do pretty good in that department.

Before calling them, I suggest taking a clear picture of the sticker on the door frame that bears the I.D. number and serial number.  Kolpak will ask for that information.  If they don’t recognize it (which happens), then get their e-mail address and e-mail the picture to them.

If your W/I is dated (beyond five to ten years), then don’t get your hopes up.  The age of the box may precede their record-keeping.  Otherwise, if the box has required repairs in the past, it may have slowly become an aberration of aftermarket parts that were necessary when a crisis arose and a tech did what he had to while relying on immediately available local resources…in order to keep your freezer full of stuff from spoiling.

• fixbear

October 12, 2016 at 9:23 am

What is it you need for this unit?

Door hardware, munion heaters and gaskets are readily available. Door sweeps and heater covers are specific to maker.

If it was designed for exterior service it will have security fasteners on the latch and hinges. You will need to buy special tools for them and replacement screws if that is the case.

Most refrigeration hardware is made by one company and will have part numbers cast into them. Usually underneath the mounting area.