convotherm commercial oven by cleveland model OES 6.10 mini door seal replacementvanman812 updated 2 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 6 Posts
MemberSeptember 21, 2017 at 12:00 am
How to change door seal of convotherm commercial oven by cleveland model OES 6.10 mini door
MemberSeptember 22, 2017 at 8:41 am
Combi-oven gaskets can be challenging to install, since they tend to resist everything you need to do to install them.
In your case, I see (from PartsTOWN’s picture) that the new gasket is ROUND, while the door is almost SQUARE. That would seem to make it even MORE interesting. It’s critical to install the gasket evenly and flush. You don’t want to stretch any part of the gasket in such a way that would cause it to be bunched up elsewhere
The tools/materials I use:
- A flat-bladed screwdriver
- A utility knife
- About 1:10 mixture of dish soap and water
- Something to brush the soapy solution on and into the door channel
- A blunt, wide bladed tool that won’t cut or damage the new gasket
Remove the old gasket.
- Make certain you have removed all traces of the old gasket. If the gasket tore and traces of the old gasket stayed stuck in the channel, you can use the screwdriver and utility knife to scrape it out.
- After that’s done, thoroughly clean the entire door channel to remove any grease.
Install the new gasket.
Prepare by painting the channel with the soapy solution. Although the soapy solution MIGHT allow you to push the gasket in SQUARELY, that’s rare. So I simply lay one side of the gasket’s dart into the channel, then work the other side in with the aforementioned blunt tool (see illustration).
- Do the corners first. TOP, then the bottom. Eyeball the loose gasket material between each corner and try to make all four loops the same size.
- Next bisect the loose gasket located between each of the corners and push in a few inches of the middle of those. Keep the loose loop on each side of that as equal as possible.
- Bisect once more between a given corner and the center part you’ve just seated. Again, keep the loose loops on each side as equal as possible.
At this point you can work your way around the door frame to seat the rest of the gasket into the channel.
Once it’s all in, work your way around as necessary to inspect it. Wiggle in any parts that aren’t fully seated or are crooked.
MemberSeptember 22, 2017 at 1:06 pm
Two tools that I have found helpful, is a rubber mallet and a glazing blade. Glazing blade is a nylon double ended tool used for older auto window gaskets to inset the cord or lock seal. Since the glue in windows, not sure where to find one these days. Mallet helps to slide it if you have a belly with a light angled tap longitudinally..
MemberSeptember 25, 2017 at 10:05 am
I wonder how one of those plastic window screen spline rollers would work. I’m just afraid, despite ectofix clearly saying use something that won’t damage the new gasket, that someone will read this and think “screwdriver, okay!”
I’m thinking that won’t be wide enough. Maybe a plastic spreader that one might use for spackle or perhaps a tape applicator?
MemberSeptember 25, 2017 at 10:15 am
I think it all comes down to a person’s “feel” and ability One has to know their limitations. Obviously a great tool helps with any project and makes it easier. . The key here is like ectofix stated, Lubrication! It’s messy, but it cleans up.
MemberSeptember 28, 2017 at 9:50 am
That seal is a bear. I believe Cleveland changed that material more than once because they were having problems with it. Depending on which one is in there currently, when you go to remove it it’s going to break into 1000 little pieces and get stuck in the groove. I’ve easily spent a 1/2 hour picking the pieces out.
When you go to put the new one in it will look kind of confusing. Like, which side goes into the groove and which side seals to the door? I’m going to confuse you trying to explain it (I’m confusing myself just thinking about it) so I’d suggest you take a close look at the old one before you pull it off. Take a pic.
Lastly, find the two small holes in the gasket. Those need to be in the middle of the bottom section.
Log in to reply.