Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums how do you increase the amount of sanitizer on a cma dishwasher?

• ectofix

May 15, 2018 at 4:42 pm

A model number would’ve been helpful.  However, I’ll take a guess that your machine is a door-type machine such as a model EST-AH or something similar.

Have you verified whether the paristaltic pump for the sanitizer is actually turning?  If it’s not, then there’s something electrical that needs troubleshot. Have you operated the prime switch while observing whether chemical is coming out of the dispense end of the chemical line (by looking inside of the machine)? If the pump runs, but no chemical dispenses, then there’s an issue with the chemical lines. Some common problems that would cause that: Inspect the pickup tube that goes into the chemical bottle.  Make sure the chemical line hasn’t slid up inside the stiffener.  If it has, then it’s sucking air.  Push the chemical line FULLY back down in the stiffener. There’s blockage at the pickup tube where it rests in the bottle. The paristaltic squeeze tube has collapse.  They can go bad over time and need replaced. The chemical line might have disconnected someplace. The chemical line is clogged. I’ve seen that happen too many times and have replaced an entire line set to start fresh. If there’s a check valve in the line somewhere, it might be stuck closed.

Those are some things to check for.  That’s all I could think of while sitting here in my recliner.

If all of this is beyond your scope, then I suggest having a field tech for your chemical vendor take a look at it.  H can check it out and advise you further.  Since the paristaltic pumps are part of the machine, you’ll probably be told to have the machine repaired.

• fixbear

May 15, 2018 at 6:39 pm

For the most part these days, chemical company’s calibrate the chemicals for free to provide you with the most cost efficient and accurate application.  They will never under dose as they lose money.  So we assume that it was calibrated at some point when you selected your chem supplier.  So if you are under dosing,  it means just what Ectofix said above.  You have a line, pump problem.   NEVER make a change till you verify that the pumping system is working correctly.

May 24, 2018 at 5:35 am

I will go out on a limb and assume that this is not a new install. If it was correct before but not now, and the pump is rotating around, I would replace the squeeze tube in the pump. They can look good but still not pump the correct volume when they get older.

• gregs

June 1, 2018 at 4:04 pm

How old is the sanitizer?  Perhaps it is gassed out.

• gregs

June 2, 2018 at 12:44 pm

I have found that on an EST/EVA that 5ml of ‘fresh’ 6% chlorine sanitizer will give you approx. 50ppm.  Chlorine sanitizer will ‘gas out’ in about 3 months depending on temp and light.  Some chemical manufacturers will put a ‘packed on date’ or ‘best before date’ on the product. 

• itisljc

June 6, 2018 at 3:05 am

All of the previous comments are relevant and should be followed up on.

I have had the problem with a number of clients who do not use enough volume for the chemical to remain potent,

My solution is to use gallon jugs only not 20 litre pails. Drill a hole in the cap of the bottle just large enough to fit the tubing through in an attempt to prevent air  reaching the contents in the bottle – tighten the lid onto the gallon jug.. It dies quickly when exposed to the air.

The Chlorine 6% should have a yellow tinge to it …..if it is almost clear it is no longer active.

test with a new bottle of chemical and prime through. Retest the ppm and measure the throw portion ( in a gradated container ) per rinse cycle. there is no need to guess but satisfying the ppm is vital to your customer and to your perceived value as a supplier. Any  pump with a good tube that is full open will more than do the job if your product is still active.

Chlorine can crystalize in the tube and block the flow – hense, measure the volume and satisfy yourself that the amount is correct.

Good luck.