Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives cleveland sgl-40-tr not reaching desider set temp

• cleveland sgl-40-tr not reaching desider set temp

Posted by guest on April 12, 2019 at 12:00 am

set thermostat to 250 reaches 150 turn thermostat up comes back on but does not reach set temp or close about 100 degrees off

fixbear replied 5 years ago 1 Member · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • eritech1

April 12, 2019 at 7:00 am

If u know that ur consistently off by 100degrees Test the ohms on ur rtd probe.

call Cleveland (or if some one knows them off hand) for the value at room temp and u can see if it’s the prob or control board.

(844) 724-2273

• olivero

April 12, 2019 at 5:26 pm

Sounds like the probe’s off, I’ve replaced a couple of them.

• rico

April 20, 2019 at 5:35 am

As long as you have a good vacuum, in the jacket, I would replace the temp probe (thermister?), out of hand. But, before doing that, make sure that the hi limit has not opened, first. They can open early. I have to replace my temp probes every couple of years. Eight Cleveland kettles. Although, for me, it seems the smaller ones go more often. Dunno why. More batches? 

• fixbear

April 20, 2019 at 2:09 pm

They use RTD’s due to the working temp. Thermistors are not linear like a RTD is.  But RTD’s have a metal resistor made with platinum and are therefore vibration susceptible. Think of the aggressive surface action that happens during cooking. And the scrubbing during a cleaning. They also drift less over time than a thermistor. If working temp is over 160C RTD is the only option.   Being they have to wind a fine somewhat brittle wire around a ceramic or glass core, and imbed it in a case can’t be easy.

btw;  Lead resistance change is more common than failure of the RDT itself.   Especially on a brazing pan with tilt.

So I guess we’ll be replacing them for many years to come.