Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Convotherm 4, E05.1.8

• fixbear

April 4, 2018 at 4:42 am

Let’s think about this for a moment.  Water in the burner?  Vertical circular heat exchanger?  Not a boiler, so that rules out a heat exchanger crack.  High moisture cooking chamber,  Doesn’t matter as the heat exchanger is hotter than the oven and water would not condense.  What does that leave us?  Water ingress to the blower suction!  Finding it may be the problem.  If you have a water line downstream of a solenoid,  Good luck  It could be no more than a drip that accumulates in the lower section till it get’s pushed up the the venturi.

And yes, water in a combustion area will cause some weird sounds as it flashes to steam. It will also modify the flame. Had some experience with that in heating systems after a flood.

• olivero

April 4, 2018 at 11:35 am

Considering the unit had just finished a cleaning cycle which is not done very hot, it would make more sense for that water to have made it into the heat exchanger through a crack rather than it sucking up water through the venturi  which is not even close to any surface, its a tube sticking out into the air, other option is water in the gas, but I think that’s pretty much a given that, that ain’t it.

In an hour and some time, I’ll know for sure.

Edit

Just finished the cleaning cycle, pulled the burner again and water came out. Going to pull out the heat exchanger now.

• olivero

April 4, 2018 at 12:22 pm

Found it

Oh the joy.

• fixbear

April 4, 2018 at 3:28 pm

What are they using that is eating the metal?

• olivero

April 4, 2018 at 4:08 pm

They are only using the convocleaner products, nothing else.

I don’t think the heat distribution on the metal is even, it seems to be more in the top than bottom.

• olivero

April 4, 2018 at 4:41 pm

So there you go.

• fixbear

April 4, 2018 at 8:28 pm

Too hot..  Heat errosion then.

• olivero

April 4, 2018 at 8:37 pm

Yeah, that tubing could have probably been an inch or 2 wider right at the beginning, doesen’t seem right its glowing red when the burner is on full blast with the fan on. I could understand it and the previos model is like that where if the fan is NOT spinning, then it glows red. But can’t be good for the stainless to be heated THAT much.

Page 7 of 7