Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums I have a turbochef hhb2 oven, no lights come on. I have 110v coming in to the 24vdc power  supply (110v to both 110v connectors  screws  ). No power coming out of 24vdc power supply . Installed new power supply and same thing  is happening. Any ideas why

• ectofix

June 22, 2017 at 6:16 pm
    I have 110v coming in to the 24vdc power  supply (110v to both 110v connectors  screws  ).

How did you read 110v?  From GROUND?  Don’t do that.  Ground isn’t part of the circuit.  That’s a 208/240v oven.  Read by testing line-to-line.

From what you said, appears that you have just ONE line coming in.  I don’t know.  I’m not there to see how you got 110v.   It might be that the DC power supply isn’t getting the other line. 

I’ll throw this out there though.  If you’re not getting that other line input, then from my looking at the schematic, the problem it could be:

A blown fuse A bad EMI filter …or a bad wire/ connection somewhere

Good luck with that.  DIY can lead to replacing allotta good components.  Maybe that’s cheaper than calling a service company, though. 

I don’t know.  Gotta weigh and compare your risks, I guess.  Just don’t get shocked.

• fixbear

June 22, 2017 at 6:55 pm

I would have to have more information as to what kind of power you have supping this oven.  Single phase, three phase, Delta or wye.

• poorshh

June 22, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Hi, single phase 30amp plug.

• poorshh

June 22, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Hi I am checking voltage by putting the ground lead to the chassis and then checking each 110v line coming in to the power supply. Should I be checking a different way?

• ectofix

June 22, 2017 at 7:44 pm

Like I said before.  Don’t go to ground.  That’s not part of that circuit.  Read AC voltage input to the DC power supply at terminals N and L.  If you’re not getting source (208/240v) voltage there, then you’ve lost a leg elsewhere.  Where I listed.

• fixbear

June 22, 2017 at 8:17 pm

OK, Poorish,  This machine does not use a neutral for anything and therefore you should not be using a single leg measurement for anything as Ectofix said. All your measurements should be phase to phase or across a item , like a fuse.  You should be seeing between 230 and 240 volts to your power supply.  Using ground and measuring each leg is faulty as a back feed from a open fuse will show that there is power on both legs when there isn’t.  Measure voltage at your fuse block on the feed side.  Then on the back of the fuses. I’ll bet you will see 240 and 0.  Now measure one each fuse end to end. The one that shows voltage is blown. 

• poorshh

June 22, 2017 at 8:46 pm

hi  ectofix, I am obviously not familiar with how 208/240v works. I was reading power before the fuse and after the fuse and was getting 110v, that threw me off in thinking the fuses were good. I took your advise and took the fuses out and ohmed them out and sure enough one of them was blown. I knew it was something simple but couldn’t figure out what it was. I will have to familiarize myself with 208/240v systems. Thank you very much for your help, I truly appreciate it! 

Next time I will check the obvious first! Lol

• poorshh

June 22, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Hi, yes I was doing exactly what you said and getting a faulty reading. I decided to take the fuses out and ohm them out and voila, one of two two fuses was blown! I am not familiar how 220v works in this oven and it deceived me! Lol.
    Thank you very much for your help I truly appreciate it!

June 29, 2017 at 1:14 pm

I’m just going to throw this out there. I have employees that let the door slam shut on our Turbochef. After a couple of months, the display goes blank and I get a call that the oven is dead. I will pull off the panel on the control side. I usually find that the ribbon connector has backed away from the control board, just enough that the screen goes blank.

The first time this happened, it took me a little while to find it, after checking everything else and thinking that I needed a new board. I even called Turbochef and the tech there said that it was the board, you know….power everywhere but no lights. Now when they call, its the first thing I check.

There is no really good way to secure it, to the connector or I would do that and not be bothered. But its a good excuse for me to ***** at the cooks for letting the door slam closed.

June 29, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Well, looks like you got it before I finished typing my response. If this is the unit with three fuses next to each other, make sure you put the right fuse in the right holder. Another lesson I learned the hard way. lol.

Page 1 of 2