Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Pitco Frialator’s basket will not return after cycle ends

• Pitco Frialator’s basket will not return after cycle ends

Posted by guest on May 8, 2019 at 12:00 am

The left basket does not return after the cycle ends. If I unplug the motor from the basket control board, it will reset

and return to the loading position.

fixbear replied 4 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • fixbear

May 8, 2019 at 4:01 pm

Important information to include:

Type of Equipment Manufacturer Model Number Serial Number Clear details about the issue Any troubleshooting diagnosis made by a technician
  • vmcl

May 8, 2019 at 8:31 pm
    Type of Equipment: FRYER Manufacturer: PITCO Model Number: SFSG14R Serial Number: G17HA049014 Clear details about the issue: The left basket lowers into the basin at the beginning of the frying cycle & basket                                                           remains (motor does not activate) in the basin after the frying cycle ends

motor will return to the starting position if it is unplugged from the motor control

board and plugged back in and then will work correctly the next cycle

Any troubleshooting diagnosis made by a technician:  still need to take voltage readings at the end of the cycle

when its being called to return to the starting position

• fixbear

May 10, 2019 at 8:06 pm

This might help

So verify that the lower magnet switch is closed when the basket is down.

• ectofix

May 11, 2019 at 7:04 am

fixbear wrote:

I was hoping Ectofix would jump in on this one.

My thoughts were a faulty lower limit switch as well, but I didn’t look into any of the literature.  It really needs to be troubleshot with a meter to reach a conclusion. 

It’s probably been a dozen years since I fooled with ANY basket lift systems.  Each time I’ve encountered one, I had to study the electrical diagram for a refresher on their operation.  In this case, I see Pitco went to Reed switches versus the old microswitch setups I worked on.

On the old microswitch types…if I remember correctly, the two SPDT microswitches (three wires to each) would flip-flop with the timer contacts for directing the lift motor function mode along stopping the motor in its upper and a lower position.

I’ve never seen those with the Reed switches and driver boards.  Like everything else nowadays, the engineers remove the beauty of simplicity and replaced it with the hefty cost of electronics technology.

The cost of that driver board and the Reed switches aren’t so bad, but that linear actuator price is exorbitant (as is typical).  If the problem here proves to be a bad sensor, then this looks like it:

https://www.partstown.com/pitco/ptb5308901?pt-manual=PT-SG14_pm.pdf 

The parts illustration also gives some dimensions regarding their proper placement:

Here’s the parts manual:

https://www.partstown.com/modelManual/PT-SG14_pm.pdf 

• fixbear

May 11, 2019 at 7:36 am

I was hoping Ectofix would jump in on this one.  I haven’t had much experience with this model,  but from what I see you either are not getting a home signal from the actuator pickups, or have a controller problem.  The low position sensor I believe has to be satisfied before the timer starts  Slide it up a small bit to see if it senses.

It took a bit to get a hold of this, https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/3057009/Pitco_June2017/docs/manuals/SG-Solstice/L22-345.pdf

Page 91 has the wiring diagram for the actuators.  A 24 VDC +  signal at plug 12 pin 1 and 24 VDC-  at pin 2 keeps the basket down.

• fixbear

May 11, 2019 at 7:42 am

This one makes me wonder if there are index marks on the reed switches.  Turned the wrong way I don’t believe they will function as well.

• ectofix

May 11, 2019 at 8:00 am

fixbear wrote:

This one makes me wonder if there are index marks on the reed switches.  Turned the wrong way I don’t believe they will function as well.

Probably not.  I’d have to see it in the fryer to verify that the “flag” on the Molex connector is pin #1:

Then, referring to the wiring diagram in the manual you shared, the sensor going to pins 1 & 2 are the upper limit switch.

The service manual doesn’t spell out any instructions for replacing just the limit switches.  It only mentions adjustments of them.  Maybe the wire lead lengths are different to prevent them from being installed backwards.

• fixbear

May 11, 2019 at 1:09 pm

I was referring to plug 12 in the input panel that is easy to get to. Where the low voltage trans is. Signal comes down from main board to there and then to actuator control.  I should have been more specific.