Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives I purchased a 1r-10-r range 240 3 phase Can it be converted to a 240 2 phase range!

• I purchased a 1r-10-r range 240 3 phase Can it be converted to a 240 2 phase range!

Posted by guest on July 14, 2017 at 12:00 am

Our building only has 2 phase 240! Can this range be converted to two phase?

badbozo2315 replied 6 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • john

July 14, 2017 at 10:22 am

2 Phase? This might cause a headache or two. So, first thing: you’re certain it’s 2 phase? Seems like a thing someone would have mentioned previously. I’m sorry that happened. You wouldn’t have known unless someone helpful mentioned it. 

2 Phase is incredibly uncommon in the US today; and with that, Imperial only manufactures equipment for 1 and 3 phase. Your best bet is to contact both Imperial at 800.343.7790 and an electrician in your area who specializes in 2 phase. 

I’m reading about converters on motors that convert 3 phase to 2 phase, but I’m not sure how that’ll affect your equipment. Definitely need to talk with Imperial about that.

Please reply when you find your solution; I’m sure there have been others with this same issue who would love to know how to solve it, and I’m genuinely curious as well!

-John

• izzygreen

July 14, 2017 at 12:28 pm

I’m going to assume you mean 3Ø to 1Ø like John B  said 2Ø is rare. Depending on the age of the oven many times Imperial includes an alternate schematic to convert it over. Sometimes it is simply moving T2 to T3, in other cases you’d have to run a new wire between the elements.

Check the service panel for a schematic; I’m sure you will find your answer there.

Good luck

• ectofix

July 14, 2017 at 7:30 pm

What izzygreen and partstownjohn said.

You most CERTAINLY need to consult with a licensed electrician on this.  A single-Ø (or a rare 2Ø that you had stated) configuration will draw SIGNIFICANTLY more amperage than a range that’s configured as a 3Ø unit.  For example – potentially enough current to rival a standard household residence…with EVERYTHING running simultaneously (the stove, oven, clothes drier, AC, dishwasher…and all the lights in the house on).  ALL of THAT – through one circuit breaker?

YEP.  Call an electrician.

FWIW:  I tried finding a spec sheet on your model, but that doesn’t seem to cross to anything.

• izzygreen

July 17, 2017 at 7:48 am

I’m pretty sure he is going by the amount of terminals on the plug, 4 is 3Ø and 3 is 1Ø so he is calling it 2 phase. I can not imagine that he actually has 2Ø

Hopefully what ever electrician he calls will up the line to allow for the extra amp draw, if the oven was set up originally to be either or, all he has to worry about is the line coming in as far as gauge goes.

But as I tell all my clients, please have an electrician hook up your appliance if you do not have the correct outlet available when it is delivered

• bush

July 21, 2017 at 7:46 am

In Europe, and in many other places on this planet, power is identified by the number of “hot” legs supplied to the appliance.

1 phase would be a single hot and a neutral.

2 phase is two hot leads.

3 phase is of course, three hot leads.

In a lot of ways, North American power descriptions would be easier if we adopted the same terminology.

To directly answer the question:  YES, it can be done.  I’ve converted several of these already.  The ampdraw will be considerable however, perhaps a 90 or 100 amp breaker will be required.

• badbozo2315

July 23, 2017 at 7:27 am

Wikipedia to the rescue, especially the bold text:

Two-phase electrical power was an early 20th-century polyphase alternating current electric power distribution system. Two circuits were used, with voltage phases differing by one-quarter of a cycle, 90°. Usually circuits used four wires, two for each phase.

So, a true 2-phase unit would have 5 wires, 2 for phase #1, 2 for phase #2, and a ground.

Converting a *resistive* load to single phase would be easy, put them in parallel. However if the unit has a 2-phase motor in it, that would need to be swapped out to a single phase one.