Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives how do I order a “spring rod” to clean out the drain in the door of the combi oven?

• how do I order a “spring rod” to clean out the drain in the door of the combi oven?

Posted by guest on December 13, 2017 at 12:00 am

How do I order a “spring rod” at Parts Town to clean out the drain in the door of the Cleveland Combi Oven?

brikul59 replied 4 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • ectofix

December 14, 2017 at 5:06 am

You talking about THIS?  Bunn DELIMING SPRING

• miltonsappliance

December 21, 2017 at 7:04 pm

don’t buy it use weed eater line works better go thru hole left side of tray and work it also works good on pe hole on outboard motors

• ectofix

December 21, 2017 at 7:21 pm

OR…you can try using a plunger.  One like you’d use in a sink or toilet. 

YES…I just had to do that yesterday.  Who’d a thunk you’d ever have to do THAT in an OVEN?

• miltonsappliance

December 21, 2017 at 7:22 pm

no ectofix he wants to clean drain on combi oven like chilis probally a 208smk he wasn’t specific put line in left hole in catch tray under door  I’m talking about weed eater line about 4 foot will work work it  that spring your talking about haven’t looked at it probally for a tea machine never have used one pull the tube after shower head screw driver works fine clear indication of clogged on tea  that is water coming out of weep hole that would be indication of calcium in shower head lime most complaints are weak tea watery taste or sucks

• miltonsappliance

December 21, 2017 at 7:28 pm

plunger will not work the tray is like 32 wide by 4  plastic  don’t know the model if it is a 208 smk gonna break the plastic mounts that hold it and 4 inchs will not work with a plunger this drain is gravity fed its not a toilet

• miltonsappliance

December 21, 2017 at 7:36 pm

any way if your working on a comi good luck I thought this was tech town not toon town

• ectofix

December 21, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Thanks for your input, Milton.  I haven’t worked on a Cleveland for awhile.  Mainly Rationals.  

FWIW: I had a mess in a Rational CM102 drain yesterday.  It got all backed up.  The oven’s drain is round, so a plunger fit it.  The strainer sieve was gone.  I plunged it and that worked.

SHORT STORY:  I’d just replaced a boiler element.  Afterwards, I had to hammer & chisel a solid mass of rock out of the boiler before moving on to doing a proper chemical descale.

After running the unit in steam mode for a time to ensure the new boiler element wouldn’t leak, I sprayed down the cooking compartment to cool it down.  Then I discovered that the drain was clogged.  It got all backed up with rice, chicken chunks, foil, plastic wrap and such.  After some robust applications with a plunger, a big, meaty Portabello mushroom came floating outta there.  With THAT out, the oven cabinet drained down.  Problem solved.

no ectofix he wants to clean drain on combi oven like chilis probally a 208smk he wasn’t specific put line in left hole in catch tray under door  I’m talking about weed eater line about 4 foot will work work it  that spring your talking about haven’t looked at it probally for a tea machine never have used one pull the tube after shower head screw driver works fine clear indication of clogged on tea  that is water coming out of weep hole that would be indication of calcium in shower head lime most complaints are weak tea watery taste or sucks

I like the weed eater line idea.  I’ve also used whatever hi-temp wire that was on my truck.  It might be pricey, but it was right there on the truck.

I’ve always kept a batch of Bunn deliming springs in my tool box (for twenty years).  YES, they’re designed and intended for poking up through older Bunn CWTF brewers.  They’re supplied for use by the owner of those old brewers to knock away scale buildup in the water dispense tube.

They’ve proved their worth to me for numerous times for other applications.  You never know when something like it will come in handy.  It keeps its shape.  It’s 24″ long.  It’s cheap.  It fits in a drill.

More often than not, mine gets a ride in a drill mandrel to chew out the grease buildup in really old Frymaster filter pan gooseneck or the newer Turbochef ovens that have a clogged vent tube leading to a foil pack on the back.  Generally the application of heat from a torch will loosen up then grease enough so that spring tool can work the greasy buildup out.

any way if your working on a comi good luck I thought this was tech town not toon town

Not sure what THAT comment was intended for, but if it makes you feel better…then I hope you feel better.

About US.  You and I.

I’ve learned that WE technicians are a difficult bunch to be told how to do what we do.  I don’t know why that is..but it just IS.  Maybe it’s because we have all learned through our own little, mental school of “hard knocks” and decide that THAT way is the only right way to do it.

Yes.  For the MOST part, we kitchen equipment techs learn primarily from our own experiences.  ALL of our experiences differ from each others. Without an opportunity to attend some school to teach us everything, maybe that particular school we learned from puts some testosterone behind what we learned to know…and renders us to be resistant to learning ANOTHER way.

With that mentality, we might forget that there’s still much to learn from…EACH OTHER.

YET, we have ALL learned our little tricks that work for us, have mastered them…and are willing to share those tricks with other techs who don’t know how or have another way to do that.

SO…it’s important to keep an OPEN MIND FOR LEARNING some new tricks…and try to avoid making condescending remarks to those offering new ideas on how we might do our jobs.

• rationaltechnician

June 25, 2019 at 10:12 pm

Well said!

Some people forget the technicians here offer what they know free-of-charge for the benefit of all.

Take what helps and move on.  Don’t criticize the free advice.

• olivero

June 26, 2019 at 1:41 pm

Just out of pure curiosity, why on earth are you having to “snake” your drain.

I have 2 Combi ovens, one is the new C4 (funny name) the other one is the older model and I’ve never had to do that.

Calcium or something got in it or what?

Edit:

I just read that again, you said door, so I’m assuming you have a smaller model where the drain runs along the bottom of the door?

• rationaltechnician

June 26, 2019 at 7:57 pm

Yes, I know a few different makes of combi-ovens that have drip collectors on the door to collect condensate while door is open.  This then flows through hinge of door or close to it into drip collector under cooking cabinet.  Then that goes down drain.

Food particles, grease, etc. can collect in all those areas.  Whatever doesn’t get wiped needs to be scrubbed out. Rational recently released a brush for maintenance.  If anyone is interested, I’ll try to get a part number and picture.

Page 1 of 2