Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives scotsman ice maker code 8

• Sanchezhvac

January 4, 2021 at 6:58 pm

I am aware of the spillway issue they have. I don’t think its a spillway issue. As it has a 10-12 minute cycle. Its getting thick enough ice and no water is hitting the ice thickness sensor. The problem is that ice starts sliding out about 2.5 minutes into the harvest. By time the second ice drops it has maxed out on harvest.

• fixbear

January 5, 2021 at 8:51 am

Is it coming out as a sheet? Fully formed and even?

• fixbear

January 5, 2021 at 9:09 am

Check that both curtain switches are functioning correctly. Watch the SW1 and SW2 LED’s as you slowly open the curtain.

And are both evaporators harvesting? Your model indicates a half dice. So you may have a harvest assist problem with one of the evaporators.

• fixbear

January 5, 2021 at 9:39 am

I just read back thru your post from the 29th of Dec indicated you had to push the harvest assist in. They should retract by spring pressure. If a pin stays out even partially, the ice will form around it and delay harvest as the pin does not have any heat like the evaporator.

Hope this helps.

• Sanchezhvac

January 5, 2021 at 11:13 am

Both curtain switches are working properly. For the harvest assist, I wasn’t sure how they worked, but after talking to someone they told be the harvest assist should start to move when your Hot Gas light is on. I was thinking the harvest assist was not pushing the ice out because it seemed like it was moving forward than stop. As far the ice ot is falling off as a full sheet. What do you mean by half dice?

• fixbear

January 5, 2021 at 12:33 pm

BTW, your machine is a “A” before 2009. Probably about 2007. The harvest assist were recalled on them. Your’s may have been missed. These are the bulletins still on file;

August 09 First change

In 2013 with the “D” model they dropped the solenoid type for the more standard gearmotor type

Harvest update.

But they also had problems with the controller on the double evaporator machines going into freeze before both had a full harvest. On the back of the board there should be a white sticker with the version number. a 5 or lower is a problem.

Controller 1

Controller 2

Be aware that if you have a partial sheet during harvest, You may want to check the dump valve for function. If it doesn’t open, water continues to flow over the evaporator and starts melting the bridge. Causing the sheet to break each side of the harvest assist and only a portion to drop.

• fixbear

January 5, 2021 at 12:34 pm

The smallest cube they make.

• HakimJacob

January 7, 2021 at 9:53 am

Hi….the Prodigy blunder code demonstrates that the Prodigy has experienced short freeze cycle, a couple of times. On the off chance that the ice machine’s collect cycle is set off before 6 minutes into the freeze cycle this blunder code will happen. Understanding the grouping of activity and part capacities will assist you with seeing how to analyze this issue and how to tackle it. One of the primary parts to take a gander at is

the ice thickness control. You can discover it holding tight top of the evaporator plate, behind the ice shade. This is the place where the ice is made. The ice thickness control is appeared in the image above. This sensor is genuinely near the evaporator plate and as the ice expands the water streaming over it starts to draw nearer to the sensor. Whenever water has connected with the sensor for a couple of moments it will flag the regulator that it’s prepared to collect the ice off of the plate.

https://www.7pcb.com/

• 18tillidie

October 13, 2022 at 2:34 pm

SOLVED: I was just having the same issue and I found the issue. My Scotsman Prodigy CO330 stopped producing ice a few days ago. I was getting a Code 8, but also noticed a code 2 at times when I was trying to figure out what was happening, but always seemed to show a code 8 when it stopped. After cleaning everything, I noticed that the bottom horizontal plate on the evaporator was loose, and sitting out around 3/8″ from the others. Here’s what I believe was happening… it would do a full freeze, but the protruding plate would prevent the sheet from dropping, so I’d get a flashing Code 2 (Max Harvest) and it would retry. The next cycle, because there was a sheet half way harvested already in there, it would run water over the sheet and the next cycle would trigger the thickness sensor early and give a code 8 (Short Freeze).

I found a hack online and used a hammer and flat head screwdriver to tap a cross into the joint between the loose horizontal plate and the first and last vertical plate. This locked the plate back in place, and the machine ran perfectly. I watched it go through 5 cycles after putting the covers back on.

I now have another issue… next day, the machine is tripping the GFCI breaker on the main panel. (I know, GFCI breakers are not recommended, but it’s been running fine on this circuit for years). Every time I reset, it trips after a few seconds. It was working fine when I left in running the night before. I can’t imagine that the run capacitor decided to randomly go bad right now, so I suspect I either pinched a wire somewhere, or some moisture from cleaning has got in somewhere it shouldn’t have. Rechecking now, and will leave it off with the front and side panel off to see if letting it dry out help, but any other suggestions welcome.

• fixbear

October 13, 2022 at 7:31 pm

I like to use a rawhide mallet to reset the plates. Doesn’t deform the top of a plate like a screwdriver would.

The impacts on the evaporator may have shorted something or caused water to splash where it doesn’t belong. But I would sooner believe that the GFI has gone by the wayside. Not uncommon with age. GFI breakers are preferred with refrigeration equipment as they can be bought with higher leakage values. All the way up to 15 milliamps instead of the outlet 5 milliamps. It takes 10 for you to even feel a tingle. Doesn’t get painful till 25.

Page 3 of 4