Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives scotsman ice maker code 8

• 18tillidie

October 23, 2022 at 3:52 pm

Took me a week to get around to replacing the breaker, and I thought it had fixed the issue. The unit worked fine for about 6 hours, then started tripping the breaker again. It doesn’t trip straight away, it takes a few seconds before it trips. Wondering if it worked ok after it was off for a week and dried out, then once there was moisture present again, something’s shorting? Any thoughts?

• fixbear

October 24, 2022 at 11:14 am

Water will do it in the wrong place. But also make sure your water has a neutral ph. Also the room it is in has no acidic fumes/vapor of any kind. Like acid storage or even a base like chlorine storage. Both will make a very conductive surface.

Personally, I would take a good DVOM and start isolating your ground pin/chassis for a current path with the ohm function and L1. Should be infinate. If not, you have to disconnect one item at a time to isolate where the problem is. Be it a solenoid valve, harvest assist, pump motor, Compressor winding, sensor, or control board. The likely problem is often the pump motor if you have under treated hard water. It work’s in the worst environment of the machine. Also, if your machine is in a unconditioned space, and some of the insulation is missing or not properly installed, there will be condensation that gets where it doesn’t belong.

• 18tillidie

October 26, 2022 at 12:10 pm

I think I have it figured. I noticed that the harvest solenoid didn’t appear to be working from the get go, so it is relying on the hot gas to melt enough ice for the sheet to slide out under its own weight… the harvest relay is the closest component that could have been affected by tapping the loose rail back in. I also realized that the first sequence on start up is a harvest cycle. The unit did the same thing… ran for a few hours after it had time to dry out, then it would trip the breaker a few seconds after resetting the breaker. I disconnected the harvest solenoid, and it stopped tripping the breaker and I now have a full bin of ice. Next step is to replace the harvest solenoid, but pretty sure this was the issue. Working fine for now without the solenoid. Fixbear, I really appreciate your advice and suggestions!

• fixbear

October 27, 2022 at 12:40 pm

Your hard tapping may have shorted the solenoid armature coil. Disconnect and ohm the coil wires. Then check for ohms to ground from each leg of the coil. If the coil is open, yes it will need replacement, but not necessarily the cause of your ground fault. However, if tit shows any ohms from either leg to ground. It definitely is.

Page 4 of 4