Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives my ice machine stops making ice a 60 minute timer pops up and says Hpco active. why is it doing this. thanks

• my ice machine stops making ice a 60 minute timer pops up and says Hpco active. why is it doing this. thanks

Posted by guest on September 5, 2017 at 12:00 am

thanks

fixbear replied 6 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • john

September 5, 2017 at 2:00 pm

HPCO is a high pressure cutout control. Why does it happen? Well, could be a number of reasons. 

If you provide your model number, we might be able to be more specific, but generally there’s an overheating issue. The compressor is likely overheating and therefore over pressure (thus the pressure cutout control) 

So, what can you do? Ensure that, as per your manual, your ice machine has proper clearance for operation. It needs room to breathe.

Also make sure the condenser coils aren’t dirty. You have been cleaning them regularly, right? If airflow cannot get through, the system won’t cool.

Have you had the machine maintenanced recently? If the refrigerant system was overcharged by accident, this problem can occur.

If you’re not having an overheating issue, a contactor coil could be shorting out.

If you continuously get this reading after making sure you have clearance and have cleaned your condenser coils, then the issue is for a trained technician to check out.

I hope this helps!

-John

• fixbear

September 6, 2017 at 1:22 am

Good points John.  But I would add that if it is a water cooled machine you may have a water pressure problem.  Like plugged filters or low system pressure.