Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Rational Oven Leaking Water

• Rational Oven Leaking Water

Posted by guest on December 17, 2017 at 12:00 am

One of our buildings has a table top rational oven, gas one. Has a boiler and everything.

I did not have much time to look it over but pretty much the problem is that its leaking on the bottom right side, between the center and right side (facing the door).

I took off the panel on the left side and looked in through the jungle of wires, all I see is what looks like a white block with a red hose going into it and it seems the water is coming from there, I am not sure what it is or how to get to it and I was hoping someone could help me out here.

Is the right panel removable?

Looks to me like it might be the hose reel but I am not sure as I can’t visually verify it.

olivero replied 5 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • ectofix

December 17, 2017 at 5:39 pm

What model is it, olivero?  I’m guessing an SCC (or CM)-61, 62, 101 or 102.

The right side panel is not removable without unwrapping the whole oven.  The top…the back…then that side.  Had to do that during a complete oven rebuild.  You DON’T want to go there.  Removing the right side doesn’t give you access to underneath the oven anyway.

Like you said, probably the hose reel. You can only get in there from the front. 

Let me know the model.

• ectofix

December 17, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Well.  Assuming it’s a SCC or SCC_WE, I wrote this:

For access to the handshower hose reel, the lower panel under the cooking compartment (the one with the handshower and CareControl drawer) must be removed.  To do so:

Turn off the water supply. Pull out the hose and tie a knot in it (so it doesn’t get reeled in…just in case…of whatever).  Pry out the clip holding the nozzle to the hose.  Keep the nozzle. Remove the CareControl drawer. In the middle of that plastic drawer, it’s gotta little locking retention thingie you push down to unlock it to pull the little drawer out completely out.  Allot like some glove boxes in newer cars. Pull out the lower section of the door gasket.  Underneath it is tabbed hinge-points for that lower panel. There’s four tiny Phillips screws for the CareControl drawer base.  Take those out. The drip collector needs to be removed.  It simply unsnaps from the lower door hinge and swings down.  Do that, pull it from the three hinge clips and disconnect from its drain hose to remove. You now have access to remove the three self-tapping hex screws underneath the lower panel.  Use a wrench (7mm?) to take those out, then swing that panel up so it unhooks from the hinged-tabs.  Now you’re looking in at the hose reel. The hose reel is secured by ONE cap-nut (just to the right of the CareControl housing) with an Allen screw from above…and two slide-in tabs that fit into slots at the far right side of the oven.  SO…remove that nut, then pivot the whole hose reel assembly CCW towards you to remove it.

FWIW, the hose reel supply line IS a flexible line (versus older designs) and would be the only one that doesn’t pass through a solenoid valve.   If the reel is leaking, you have the option of capping that supply line until you get a replacement hose reel.

However, that line may not really be obvious from removing just the left panel.  All the gas stuff down there at the bottompretty much restricts any visual or physical access to it from there anyway.   I found it necessary to remove the AIR burner component just to replace the three-way valve.

I must point out that, if you find it necessary to remove the CareControl pump to do all of this, you really must mark ALL plumbing connection points in order to properly orient and mount the hoses to the pump, hose clamps and pump enclosure…so you can properly put it all back together again.  Rational highlights this fact in a video – which demostrates the judicious usage of a Sharpie to mark everything so as to get it all lined up properly.

There’s not ANY room for error under those counter-top ovens.

• ectofix

December 17, 2017 at 7:08 pm

OH…by the way.

Don’t depend on PartTOWN parts manuals as guidance for any of this.  Their manuals are all over the place, since Rational’s MANY changes in model designs ultimately leads.to much confusion as to what’s what.

For a proper parts manual, just give me the first five digits in the serial number and I can steer you straight with regards to the oven’s plumbing.

• olivero

December 19, 2017 at 9:15 am

Ectofix, I knew I could count on you.

Going back over there today and I will take a look, a co-worker said it was the model number with the C’s in it, not sure if that helps you at all but it sounds like we are on the right track here.

Leak is definetley coming from right behind that reel, if I pull out the hose then the hose is also wet so it could be something simple, I hope it is. 

Say it is a hose going to the reel, is it replacable from the front? Can you fit a wrench in there or is it the “fun” type of fit a wrench in there?

I very much appreciate you helping me, last time I spoke to Rational it was an unpleasant experience as i am no “Certified Tech” for Rational and didn’t go to their monthly or quarterly classes….. I guess when you make something poorly, you have to keep changing it. Cleveland is kind of similar, keeps coming out with version 2.0 of various parts on their new C4 oven.

Drives me crazy.

Anyways, I will go back there today and figure this thing out, I will let you know what I find. 

• olivero

December 19, 2017 at 11:03 am

model

SCCWE62G 

Serial

G62SH12062306851

It is the hose reel, some swivel fitting on it is leaking. 

• ectofix

December 20, 2017 at 5:30 am

PartsTOWN has a representative manual listed for that model, so it will get you in the ballpark.  I’m sure you’ve already got this:

http://download.partstown.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Reedy-PartsTown-Site/-/en_US/manuals/RATL-SCCWE-62G_pm.pdf 

The SCCWE62G has a relatively wide cabinet, so I’d expect that you can replace that hand shower without too much trouble.

Rational 50.00.140P HAND SHOWER ROLL GUIDE | Parts Town 

I’ve replaced hand showers on the narrower 61 and 101 ovens.  They’re a little more challenging, I should think.

• olivero

December 20, 2017 at 8:31 am

Cool, I did find the replacement part, same as the one you listed above.

That should handle it and the chefs will be happy once again.

Thank you for the assistance

July 6, 2018 at 8:45 am

Will this procedure work for a model SCC WE 102 serial# E12SH14122438232 ?

• ectofix

July 6, 2018 at 9:56 am

It should be about the same or very similar.  A bit easier to do too, since the 102 is considerably wider than a 61 or 101.  There’s more room under there for manipulating components around to get the hose reel out. 

By the way, Rational calls the hose reel a “hand shower roll guide“.  Here’s the one you’ll need for your 102:

https://www.partstown.com/rational/ratl50%2e00%2e140p;sid=buqQf2uj0JuRfzCc7NSmccNjyA7_3GswCv0=