Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Food Prep hobart h-600 dough mixer oil leak

• hobart h-600 dough mixer oil leak

Posted by fixitnow on November 24, 2020 at 6:03 pm

hello. looked at an old hobart h-600 mixer, literally all the oil from the transmission leaked out into the bowl.

I found the lower bearing on the clutch shaft disintegrated and pushed the expansion plug out the bottom thus releasing all the oil. dissassembled the transmission, doesnt appear to be much damage except the bearing. my question is about the expansion plug ,from what I can see it is the only seal/barrier holding the oil in the machine . does it simply press into the casting ? do you use any kind of sealant on it? there isnt anything i can see in the service manual about this , has anybody ever dealt with this ?

thanks

fixitnow replied 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • fixbear

November 24, 2020 at 7:22 pm

You need to be a bit more specific on what you have. What plug did you “knock” out? Is it the Planetary case that’s dry or the transmission? Both of them have lip seals to prevent lubricant migration. Which means the shaft, the bearing, as well as the seal has to be good. But also the lubricant spec has to be on. Wrong oil/grease will always leak.

• fixbear

November 24, 2020 at 7:24 pm

I forgot to mention that the transmission vent has to be clear if it does long runs and makes heat.

• fixitnow

November 24, 2020 at 8:21 pm

thanks for the quick reply. thers an expansion plug right under the lower clutch bearing in the main transmission. when this bearing blew the clutch shaft dropped and pushed out this plug and all the oil in the transmission poured out . you can see this plug on a parts breakdown, I have ordered it, just wondering if anybody has installed or replaced one. thanks again

• fixitnow

November 24, 2020 at 8:22 pm

whats the proper oil? i have always used 80/90 gear oil with no issues

• fixbear

November 25, 2020 at 10:37 am

Transmission oil is Mobile EP 460. Models before 2002 used the same in the planetary, But after that they no longer had a pump and used grease.

I always found that Permatex #2 lightly spread around it was best. But take the time to make sure you have a good driver to install it. Something flat with a drive handle slightly larger than the plug. It will give you a lot of problems if you try to just use a hammer. They want to cock and distort which then requires another one.

• olivero

November 25, 2020 at 4:10 pm

Yes, I have done this before, had the exact same problem.

if I remember correctly it’s just a seal, there’s nothing else, no silicone, caulk or anything, just that seal.

This is the oil as Fixbear said.

https://www.partstown.com/hobart/hob00-102973-00071?acx_source=GOOGLE&acx_campaign=%5BSearch%5D%5BNew%5D%5BDSA%5D%20-%20US%20-%20Other%20Languages&acx_adgroup=2995302220:DSA%20-%20All%20products&acx_keyword=&kid=_kenshoo_clickid_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInNiBhNue7QIVQpyzCh24EgPjEAAYASAAEgKVp_D_BwE

• olivero

November 25, 2020 at 4:19 pm

Ah, found em.

Here’s some pictures of mine, I had to pull it apart to change that main bearing as it was making a lot of noise when running high speed. The seal just pushes up but reguires some serious wiggling around to get in properly. I think I bought 2 and broke one trying to get it in.

DSC00403 DSC00412 DSC00402
  • fixitnow

November 25, 2020 at 5:42 pm

got it back together thanks all for the advice