Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Food Prep Hobart H600 mixer gear not shift, stuck…

• Hobart H600 mixer gear not shift, stuck…

Posted by jimmynguyen on March 17, 2021 at 9:27 am

Hobart H600 mixer gear not shift, i have a hobart mixer for over 10 years, used it for couple year then stop using it cause my sandwich shop closed ( i stored it in my home). After that few years, i tried to use the mixer back, but fell the gear shaft was really hard to switch. And Now it is still running but get stuck in one gear. I called Hobart service, but the tech would not come to resident doing service??? Anybody gives me an advice? Thanks you!

expyman replied 2 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • fixbear

March 17, 2021 at 11:36 am

Ouch! It sounds like you stored it in a non-heated space and the gearcase lubricant picked up moisture. That probably caused the shafts and clutches to rust a bit. That means you would have to tear down the transmission And clean and determine what parts are needed for reassembly. Not for someone that is not familiar with them. Where are you located? Someone close to you may jump in with a local company that may be of assistance.

• jimmynguyen

March 17, 2021 at 2:13 pm

Thank you for your advice! Yes, i did call Hobart service, but they wouldn’t come to resident property, and asked me to bring it to their shop, it’s too heavy, i couldn’t…I live in Arlington TX. If you know someone in the area that can come to fix it , please help me! Thanks

• nafets47

March 19, 2021 at 10:26 am

If you cant find someone to come fix it, contacting a moving company to see if they will transport the item to the service location might be an option. Obviously it will cost something but it might not be a bad option.

• fixbear

March 20, 2021 at 1:25 pm

That amount of work is better done in a shop anyway.

• nafets47

March 21, 2021 at 3:34 pm

agreed

• expyman

April 7, 2021 at 12:33 am

It’s actually not a big deal. Had this issue a couple times in the past. Few times from a mixer having contaminated oil and it never being switched from first gear for a decade in a pizza shop just making dough. Another time a military base decided to put fryer shortening to top up the machines oil….. open the transmission case cover and pull out the shifter shaft. It should pull straight out. Take a scouring pad and clean it up well. Play with the clutch gears by hand to make sure they move freely up and down as well. Oil will have to be drained and try to soak up ALL OIL in the bottom seat where the shifter shaft goes back in. If you don’t It can hydraulically lock it from going down no matter how well you think it’s in. This will cause you to crack the transmission cover when you set and torque the bolts back on. Extremely simple just take your time. If your not comfortable any mechanic or mechanically inclined individual can help you. Use ep460 to fill the oil back to level when you are done. Don’t use the same oil in the planetary. Planetary calls for ep150.

• expyman

April 7, 2021 at 12:37 am

Hobart will charge a small fortune to do this in our area. Takes me an hour. Clean up the mating surface of the cover and head of mixer and put a continuous bead of gasket maker all the way around when you reassemble it. If not you will have the dreaded oil buildup around the entire top head of mixer.