Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums The Hot Side Lincolin 1451 solenoid temp control whoa

• Lincolin 1451 solenoid temp control whoa

Posted by ihateyeremy on February 15, 2020 at 12:23 pm

Lincoln 369801 its the controller and the 120v solenoid are what I’ll be referring to in this question.

Original complaint is oven doesn’t heat.

Found 24v solenoids/ ignition works. No voltage to 120v solenoid, power stops at thermostat however the thermostat itself has power. Ordered thermostat and solenoid.

New parts doing the exact same thing. At the thermostat I have hot on l1 coming from tap on primary side of the 24v coil. Neutral on L2 from neutral bank, next isfed straight to hot side of coil, C is hot tapped from the same terminal on transformer as L1 then thermocouple connections.

I pull the hot off the coil and that wire is energized 120v (testing hot to ground and hot neutral bank) and when I reattach it, it disappears and even the pilot light is off. (Light not the flame pilot)

I’ve jumped out the centrifugal switch and moved hots to straight power from the plug and nothing changed. Solenoid will fire if I feed it 120v from another source. What am I not thinking of guys?

Ps. Text to speach from cell phone. Sorry for any odd stuff that gets through.

ihateyeremy replied 4 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • coolertapt

February 15, 2020 at 3:12 pm

So check the jumper on the control board I think it has an 120/208 option. Secondly check the temp probe/thermocouple.

• ihateyeremy

February 15, 2020 at 5:28 pm

I’m a dummy. I fell into the trap assuming the probe was good because it’s like 4 months old so I never tested it.. When I bench test the control and solenoid I can get it to open by crossing the + and – terminals for the j type, the thermocouple is back in the machine but safe to assume its toast.

• ectofix

February 15, 2020 at 5:39 pm

LOL!

I’ve been troubleshooting electrical issues for forty years. Even with THAT…I think I might’ve made a similarly dumb mistake just last week.

Ya got it, though.

Kudos for you!

• ihateyeremy

February 15, 2020 at 6:28 pm

Haha thanks. I only have ten and man the dumb ones are the ones I learn from haha

• ectofix

February 15, 2020 at 3:31 pm

Can’t really interpret what you’re seeing and where your losing it from your description. Sounds like you’re having trouble understanding how to use your meter to correctly troubleshoot the problem. I have no way of knowing your skill level, so…

I’ll suggest some step-by-step procedures:

Do ALL of your voltage tests with ALL components connected. Disconnecting things while attempting voltage readings alters the conditions under which your problem occurs. Also, DON’T READ FROM GROUND for troubleshooting. It is NOT part of your circuit in question. Connect one lead directly to the NEUTRAL terminal of the solenoid valve. Brush the OTHER lead against L1 (120v LINE) coming into the unit. If you get 120v, then you know the NEUTRAL leg to the valve is good. Do the same from L2 of the temp control – in order to be sure it has a good neutral as well. Once you know you have a good neutral to the temp control and the valve, plant one test lead against neutral and leave it there. Turn on the unit so the main fan motor is running (so the centrifugal switch closes) and the temp control set so that the unit is calling for heat. You said the 24v circuit works, so the main and pilot valves should come on and you’ll have a pilot flame. Starting from L1 of the temp control, walk the OTHER lead around to probe your way back through the circuit in search of wherever it is you’re losing that 120v input.

That’s a beginning…

As a bit of help, I’m attaching the PROPER manual for that oven which I had on my computer.

PartsTown’s manual only covers later versions of that oven (serial # N28654 and above). Yours is obviously an older oven (N28653 and below) that uses a basic temp control instead of the fancier pushbutton one.

Use the schematic on page 6.

• ihateyeremy

February 15, 2020 at 5:36 pm

I appreciate the response! Im well versed in the meter, however today is not my day for thinking apparently so going back to basics is just about what I had to do. Honestly im all flustered from another job and it bleed into this one and I defantly wasn’t clear, it makes sense to me cause im sitting here looking at it, reading it back confused me too haha. Thanks guys.