Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums The Cold Side MANITOWAC IY0524A—alert, T4, starving txv, ice probe

• mtsaz100

December 1, 2020 at 10:40 am

This is what I meant by 125/245. I was wrong it’s 145. It won’t load pic of my gauges but low is 145. High is 245 so I didn’t mean 145-245 I meant low snd high pressures

• fixbear

December 1, 2020 at 11:54 am

Those are normal operating head pressures.

• mtsaz100

December 1, 2020 at 1:23 pm

Brandon says you will never make ice w those pressure. Obviously I trust you much more. It has exactly 22 oz of 404 (spec) snd I pumped it down to 300 microns. Why did white coil melt when removed and magnet put on harvest valve?

• olivero

December 1, 2020 at 1:52 pm

Oh no.

Did you pull the coil off the solenoid when it was active? That’s that it sounds like.

A solenoid valve is in simple terms a valve that’s opened by a magnetic field. It has a plunger inside the valve that you don’t see, the white thing (the coil) is copper wound in a circle many times, when it’s energized, it generates a magnetic field which pulls the plunger inside the valve up, allowing flow.

If you pull the coil off when it’s energized or it gets energized with nothing in it, it overheats and melts.

That’s what it sounds like happened.

Fixbear is right, his way is better than mine, just feel the discharge side of the hot gas valve (Harvest valve) and see if it’s warm when it’s making ice, if it is (it would have to be warm further than just right at the valve for it to be leaking)

At 145 PSI you’ll never make ice, it’s too hot. it’s over 60*F

I’m betting on the TXV or contaminated refrigerant, did you put virgin refrigerant in when you charged it?

• mtsaz100

December 1, 2020 at 4:31 pm

Refrigerant is new. The charge is correct. I thought txv but manitowac said no that it’s impossible or suction would be like 10 psi or less. Also he said under 7 degrees in snd out difference is good

• fixbear

December 1, 2020 at 7:34 pm

That coil should not be powered in the ice making cycle. Only the harvest cycle. We are still talking about a 520 pound air cooled Indigo right? And the harvest valve. If you are now working on another remote condenser, That’s a whole different animal.

When there is no armature to absorb the created magnetic field, You are just creating a short. Like hooking a wire across a battery. When using a artificial magnet to open the valve, make sure to unplug the coil.. If the defrost coil is powered in the ice making cycle, you found your problem. Miss-wire or bad control relay.

I don’t know what you told Manitowoc, but that head pressure will make ice. I only have a small portion of information on what you see and have done. They are a closely balanced system that makes ice very well with low energy. Make sure you understand the operation in the manual and what effects what.

• olivero

December 1, 2020 at 8:17 pm

Fixbear,

Head might be good but the suction is way high.

MTsaz, Look, Manufactuers tech support have the same chance as we do in guessing what’s right, difference is, we’re still doing it, they are not. Some of those guys are just following a chart, some of them know what they are talking about but not all of them.

I’ve had multiple instances of tech support telling me “Oh, it’s the “Insert expensive part here”. ” only to find out it’s not.

High/Normal head. WAY high suction.

Only thing it can mean is somehow you are getting high side refrigerant into the low side, that’s 1 or 2 things.

TXV OR hot gas/harvest solenoid.

There’s nothing else.

If your refrigerant is virgin 404, then it’s not fractionated which believe me, can lead to some confusing numbers like what you got.

So what is it?

Either the TXV or the harvest solenoid.

Feel the inlet vs the outlet of the harvest solenoid when the machine is making ice, as in, water is running down the evap and the comp is on. If the outlet is hot, the valve is leaking, feel it further downstream, is it still hot? at 245 PSIG your line should be somewhere around 100*F plus minus a little, I believe it’s teed right off the discharge line of the comp, not the condenser so it should be about pretty hot.

Did you kill the coil of the solenoid? You didn’t answer that.

If it ain’t hot, it ain’t the problem and it’s your TXV.

I’ve seen 1 TXV go bad on a dual evap ice machine, one evap was making ice, the other wasn’t. I felt the outlet of the hot gas valve, it wasn’t hot. Good, it was the TXV, replaced the TXV and all was well.

• mtsaz100

December 3, 2020 at 1:04 pm

It’s virgin 404. I changed the harvest valve snd new coil doing same thing. So Brandon at manitowac what say you now? Per him it’s either compressor or hot gas valve it’s IMPOSSIBLE to be anything else. Well guess what it’s neither. I have a txv but txv feels same temp on in/out. The evap and condenser are same the condenser isn’t hot. The evap isn’t cold. Also the fan doesn’t always run what’s with that? Does condenser have to reach certain temp before it turns on? I was a tech support guy once but the difference being if I told tech abc it didn’t fix it I was on a plane. My suspicion is Brandon probably knows his business but hasn’t worked on anything other than in the factory for many years. Anyway I will try txv but I would never suspect it in an air conditioner and if I did would probably rep with a piston if it was an old unit Here goes the txv

• mtsaz100

December 3, 2020 at 1:18 pm

This thing is now going crazy. The fan looks like it wants to turn on very slight movement. Also the evap is hot. Steam was coming out. This is all new before I did anything but came in today. I don’t get it at all.

• olivero

December 4, 2020 at 10:55 am

I’m so utterly lost in what you’ve done.

So you changed the compressor, harvest valve/hot gas valve and now want to change the TXV.

If the TXV feels the same on the in and out. IT’S BROKEN!

The TXV is supposed to drop your high side waaaaay down into the low side where it’s now freaking cold, that outlet pipe is supposed to be frozen when it’s running.

The condenser fan cycles to maintain head pressure, it’s a common thing on ice machines, Scotsman does it that way too.

If your evap is hot, the hot gas valve is either open or your TXV is wide open allowing hot liquid to go through, but that shouldn’t be possible due to how they are built.

Try pulling the wires off the harvest solenoid valve but leave the coil on the valve so it doesen’t fry. Then see what happens.

Steam was coming out? Steam from what? Mist, Vapor? Refrigerant blown into atmospheric pressure?

• fixbear

December 4, 2020 at 1:32 pm

Ok, if the evaporator is hot, the hot gas valve is open. Did you check the power to the valve? It should not have power except in defrost. Perhaps when you had the wiring problem something got crossed or the control welded the contacts for the valve.

It sounds like your doing a lot of parts changing without real troubleshooting. There are flow charts in the manual I gave you for that purpose.

Page 3 of 3