Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums The Cold Side Revisit:Traulsen G20010 not cooling enough?

• Revisit:Traulsen G20010 not cooling enough?

Posted by chefhenryclay on September 4, 2020 at 1:06 pm

I had a tech guy come out to look at refrigerator as we might be opening up more in the Fall. He said it was out of freon and it was definitely a coil leak according to his monitor beeper for pinpointing freon leaks. He said he could refill it with freon and it might work for a little while but eventually the freon will leak back out..

I was wondering if it is even woth it? No way to replace the coils?

fixbear replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • olivero

September 4, 2020 at 1:57 pm

It’s definetley replacable. Regardless of it being a condenser or evap coil, normally either can be replaced.

Just depends on the price of the repair in terms of parts and labor vs the cost of the unit.

The coil could also be patched if in dire need, I’ve patched lots of holes, sometimes you get another year out of them, sometimes you don’t. But it’s going to be labor intensive.

• fixbear

September 4, 2020 at 2:23 pm

Thinking about your situation with this cooler, There are only 4 reasons the evaporators leak.

The most common one is open containers of a acid product or a acidic cleaner being used. This causes corrosion of the coil. This one is sometimes repairable if you can get to it. Like end loops. The acid creates electrolysis between the aluminum fins, copper tubing, and steel screws. Being the coil is always moist a little drop in ph makes it easy for it to be conductive.

The second is the constant expansion and contraction from the cooling cycles sliding the tubing in the headers and spread mounts. This of course wears a hole in the tubing. Rarely is this one possible to fix.

The third one also relates to cooling cycles. That’s a excessive build up of ice the squeezes things. Especially if the evaporator has a expansion valve that wasn’t mounted correctly. If on the ends, no problem. But if it’s in a lower coil inside the ends, not so much. I’ve even seen fins slip. You can loose 5% of the fins and still have a operational coil.

The last is from outside damage. I’ve seem screwdriver holes, ice pick, and forced loading. This type rarely is repairable, but one has to evaluate each one as it’s own. And their own brazing skills and equipment. Not every tech is equal when it comes to the delicate work. You also have to worry about cabinet damage from to much heat with some of them. Foam insulation does not like heat at all.