Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums General SCOTSMAN 176 NOT MAKING COMPLETE ICE

• SCOTSMAN 176 NOT MAKING COMPLETE ICE

Posted by Ugosam on September 5, 2022 at 5:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a Scotsman 176 which stopped working as a result of bad optical ice level sensor which I replaced. Machine now comes on but doesn’t drop ice.What could be the problem and solution?

fixbear replied 1 year, 7 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • fixbear

September 6, 2022 at 11:03 am

176 is not a Scotsman model number. How about something more complete. It’s going to have letters in front of the numbers and a letter after.

• Ugosam

September 6, 2022 at 11:40 am

Yeah, Fixbear, you are right. That was an omission. The machine is Scotsman AC 176.

Thank you for calling my attention to it.

• ectofix

September 6, 2022 at 2:24 pm

As far as I can tell, those aren’t sold in the U.S.

Here’s a manual I found on the interwebs that might help:

ac_106.pdf 1 MB PDF - Click to view Copy Download Link
    • Ugosam

September 6, 2022 at 3:57 pm

Thank you very immensely, ectofix.

I will look into the manuals.

• fixbear

September 8, 2022 at 12:13 pm

Let me understand what you have since I can’t find a exact model in my library. AC’s were a class of ice machines that were in a floor cabinet that used pocket shapers and spray water from the bottom to make a relatively large conical round cube. Built in the early eighties.

So a bit more information is required to know what to look for.

What does the formed cubes look like?

Does the machine have adequate water supply?

When was the last time the machine was cleaned with Scotsman ice machine cleaner? And the condenser section checked and cleaned. Important to have adequate air flow thru the condenser.

How long was the cycle before the failure? Should be about 25 min.

I suspect you may either have a hot gas valve problem (low probability). Or a refrigerant starvation problem (medium). Or water supply valve leaking (High). This prevents the machine from getting the forming plate to get cold enough to start the timer and complete the icemaking and harvest cycle.

Being Ectofix was kind enough to find the correct manual, I stand corrected. Check the thermistors with a ohm meter.

With this machine, it will tell you what to look for on the control board by the number and type of flashes.