Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums General Scotsman Nw 608 ice machine

Tagged: 

• Scotsman Nw 608 ice machine

Posted by Clem on December 16, 2022 at 3:48 am

Machine goes on ice thickness sensor fault on start up. Ice thickness sensor is NOT faulty.

fixbear replied 1 year, 4 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Cove

December 16, 2022 at 4:18 am

But does it still harvest or drop ice? Or does it make ice continuously without dropping?

• fixbear

December 16, 2022 at 11:29 am

With the Prodigy machines, you can monitor the LED that is the probe. You should see flickering in the early stages of icemaking. After about 6 min. the flickering will at one point stop for about a second and 1/2 that will trip into harvest. The sensor has to be spotlessly clean to prevent microcurrent flow. Also, the routing of the sensor wire is sometimes less than optional and gets rubbed through. Remove it and dry with alcohol after cleaning the machine with Scotsman cleaner. Do not use over the counter cleaners as they will leave a conductive path. Also test your water quality and filtration system for mineral levels. No ice machine likes high minerals, but the prodigies are very sensitive to them.

• Clem

December 17, 2022 at 12:53 am

Machine makes ice and harvests as normal if I force start it. It will only go on fault when powered up initially. This is the NW SERIES

• fixbear

December 17, 2022 at 12:40 pm

Can you give me some more information. Like space ambient, air or water cooled, and how long it has been in service? And bridge thickness. Also do you know the conductivity of your water?

I like that they have gone to a 2-wire sensor for ice thickness.

I don’t like that they did away with harvest assist.

• Clem

December 18, 2022 at 1:29 am

Hi fixbear. Ambient is 25 degrees Celsius. We have the same problem on a number of units after it runs on generator. All machines are on different sites.

• Clem

December 18, 2022 at 1:30 am

It is air cooled.

• fixbear

December 18, 2022 at 8:00 pm

Time the freeze and harvest cycle if you can.

• fixbear

December 18, 2022 at 8:11 pm

You mentioned a Generator. Is this for back-up or prime power? I had a Ice-O-Matic that was at a scout camp. And every year that they tried to restart it it would not work. The long off time would cause the board power backup to fail till I powered it and manually rebooted the controller. Years ago, they used Ni-Cad batteries on the board. But today they use capacitance to hold memory. Generators power is not as clean as utility power. And system grounding and bonding is very important with electronics. After you clear the error, does it run normally.