Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums The Cold Side Scotsman TDE550

Tagged: 

• Scotsman TDE550

Posted by ricks77 on August 18, 2020 at 4:16 pm

I have a Scotsman TDE550 nugget machine that runs way more than it should. I have checked the ice bin sensors and water sensors. It’s almost like it’s on a timer. What is the normal run process? I have had the cover off and could see the bin was full and the bin empty light was not on and it would be running but not making ice.

fixbear replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • nafets47

August 19, 2020 at 10:11 am

From what I read it should do approx 20lbs of ice per hour.

There is sensors which are supposed to determine if the bin is full or not, if it keeps making ice when the bin is full I would look there.

• nafets47

August 19, 2020 at 10:14 am

I just re-read your post and you checked the sensors.

From what I read on the service manual those sensors determine if it needs to continue making ice. However like stated earlier 20lbs per hour. There wasnt anything I could dig up stating that you could adjust the time.

Maybe a bad board if the sensors are good.

• fixbear

August 19, 2020 at 10:54 am

Nugget and flakers normally run continuous till the bin is full. Installations are normally sized so they only shut off in closed hours. They have no off cycles for defrost or anything. Now as for capacity, that’s in perfect conditions. ambient less than 76F and good heat dissipation at the condenser. No water leaks and normal charge.

It is common for the “EYEs” in the bottom of the discharge chute (top of bin) to get dirty with mineral buildup and not indicate a full bin. Full bin on these is when ice backs up into the chute. They are in rubber grommets on each side and have to be cleaned with a soft cloth. You do not want to scratch the glass. You also need to clean the water level sensor as well every 6 months for both.

You can find the manual for this machine here. The water level sensor is a bit difficult and sensitive to remove and clean, so read the manual.

• fixbear

August 19, 2020 at 11:20 am

<div>What is the normal run process?
    </div><div>

Sorry I never addressed this part. This machine has a precision auger and cylinder that is kept full of water and cooled below freezing. The auger shaves ice from the walls to the top and pushes it out to the breaker and chute. When powered the auger starts and then the compressor. It continually freezes til the ice backs up in the chute enough for the eyes to get blocked. At that point the compressor stops, but the auger will keep running for two more minutes. Unless the eyes clear and at that point the compressor will restart.

If it is cycling like you mentioned, check the water supply and water sensor. Restricted water will do what you mentioned. ie; Filter, float valve and tubing from the fill tank. Also the water sensor to be clean. It operates with light.

</div>

• ricks77

September 11, 2020 at 6:52 am

The ice maker is installed at my home. It has very little usage compared to at a business. I am seeing it run seemingly random. I plan to remove the cover again and verify but I am certain that I have seen it run while the Bin Empty light is off indicating the bin is full. Am I understanding correctly that it should only run when the Bin Empty sensors are telling the logic board that more ice needs to be made? It seems like it is running but not actually making ice sometimes. I’m not saying that the bin gets empty due to lack of production. I’m saying the maker is “running” when it needn’t be and it is not even making ice when it does.

Thank you in advance for any help you provide.

• fixbear

September 11, 2020 at 10:58 am

You hear something running, but what specifically is running of the 4 motors in the machine?

Being it has touch free operation, One has to be very careful of what is placed on or near the dispensing area. And if the dispensing sensors are not kept clean, it will do some odd things. Sitting idol like in a domestic situation is not what this machine was made for.

The bin light does not always mean that the bin is full, but that ice has bridged in the discharge chute for more than 15 seconds. The auger will continue to run for 2 more minutes. After 6 minutes it will recheck to see if clear for 15 seconds and run again.

Have you checked the condenser to be clean and the fan motor running at normal speed. If the compressor trips on thermal overload, the fan will still run till ice is satisfied. After cooling enough the compressor will try to restart. You should feel warm air coming out, not cold or hot when the fan is running..