Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums The Cold Side Traulsen G20010 not cooling – tech says bad controller board? 

• Traulsen G20010 not cooling – tech says bad controller board? 

Posted by JackRyan1970 on February 4, 2021 at 6:42 pm

The fans run properly, but the refrigerator is not cooling because the “controller board is not sending power to the condenser” (per the tech). The board costs $750ish and labor about $200.

My q. is – has anyone else experienced the same problem? If yes, is it worth spending close to $1000 on repairs? I’d rather sell this off than spend that kind of money…thoughts?

olivero replied 3 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • fixbear

February 5, 2021 at 7:55 am

It is not uncommon for a reach-in cooler older than 5 years to have this problem. It comes down to routine maintenance of the unit that causes premature failures. What happens is the condenser coil starts to get restricted from dust, dirt, and airborne grease. This raises the condensing temperature and load on the compressor. This in turn increases the power needed to start the compressor each cycle. What happens is the relay on the board that switches the power on and off to the compressor now has to handle a much higher current than a clean condenser. So the points in the relay start to wear from arcing the higher load. Traulsen’s actually have a better track record with this than some others. But being a ITW company, parts tend to be pricey.

Now only you can make your choice on replacement or not

• olivero

February 5, 2021 at 11:53 am

Interesting.

I’ve seen relays burn out, sure, it happens.

Not much to say, depends on the value of your unit, if it’s more than 50% of the price of the unit to fix it, i’d say buy a new one, otherwise, just fix it.