Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Food Prep Univex 8512 – Replacing Worm Gear / Slice adjustment

Tagged: 

• Univex 8512 – Replacing Worm Gear / Slice adjustment

Posted by jsmith123 on April 27, 2020 at 5:44 pm

I recently bought a Univex 8512, but the worm gear (8512507) used to adjust the slice thinkness is worn out. I’d like to change it, but I can’t figure out how. It looks like I need to remove the roll pin from the gear in order to slide the shaft/graduated knob out, but how do you pull that pin out ? Anybody replaced that piece before willing to share experience ?

fixbear replied 3 years, 12 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ectofix

April 27, 2020 at 8:46 pm

A hammer and the appropriately sized pin punch from a kit like this:

Punch Kit

Pretty basic tools that every kitchen equipment technician has and knows how to use.

It’d be best to mount that thing in a vise to hold it solidly while you pound the pin out.

• fixbear

April 28, 2020 at 7:12 am

I’ve never seen one of the worm gears worn out. Broken from improper lubrication of the fence bearing, Yes! Remember that the gear clearance with worm gears is critical. It is adjustable due to the gear shaft being elliptical. Have fun getting all the old lubricant out of the slide bearings.

• jsmith123

April 28, 2020 at 9:17 am

Thanks for the feedback.

The worm gear was full of grease, so I didn’t realise that the pin was going thru and thru… I thought i had to pull it somehow. I will give the punch kit a try. Thanks for the advice. Do you think I can then reuse the pin when i replace the worm gear, or should I get a new one ? I don’t think the pin comes with the worm gear that I ordered.

@fixbear, I think you are righ, after removing some of the grease, it looks like the worm gear was damagedby either bad lubricant or excess of heat. The angle in the photo is the good side, the other side has no more teeth.

• fixbear

April 28, 2020 at 4:28 pm

The pins often get distorted due to cleaning agents causing corrosion and not wanting to move easily when you break them free.

The fence slide lubricant dry’s out causing the operator to force the knob. Somebody had one hell of a grip. Or the fence was open and got hit.

If I had this one in I would definitely tear down the slide assembly to clean and inspect the slide shaft for any scoring. Also look to see if it may have fallen off a table and bent anything. Those teeth just don’t break that easy.