Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums General Vulcan VSX9000 has power but contactor wont draw in… Any suggestions?

• Vulcan VSX9000 has power but contactor wont draw in… Any suggestions?

Posted by Dtimm on July 6, 2021 at 12:35 pm

I have power on all three legs of the contactor. Have power in and out of the switch.. However contactor wont draw in..

fixbear replied 2 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • fixbear

July 6, 2021 at 8:54 pm

I don’t have a schematic for that one. But I would start with my DVOM and look for power across the contactor coil and work backward. water level safety, door safety, thermostat and pressure safety come to mind with a steamer.

• olivero

July 7, 2021 at 8:25 pm

Might be a stupid question but Is there power on the coil on the contactor?

It could be the coil is fried, it’s happened before on some of my equipment.

• Dtimm

July 9, 2021 at 9:02 am

Cant get power to the coil. The fuses blow immediately after being replaced.

• fixbear

July 9, 2021 at 9:36 am

That’s going to take a bit to troubleshoot. Does the contactor come in momentarily at power up before the fuses blow?

• Dtimm

July 9, 2021 at 10:17 am

Contactor does not draw in at all. I removed the wires from the contactor on the coil side. Still blows the fuses.

• fixbear

July 9, 2021 at 10:18 am

The power supply goes directly from the the connection block to the contactor with the exception of a L1, L2 tap for control to the power switch. So if you un-power the machine and check the resistance with a ohm meter at the output side of the contactor, terminals 1 and 4 (the red 12 gauge and the Black 12 gauge wires) and then each one to ground. Then do the inner 14 gauge terminals. To ground should be infinite. If 0 ohms, one of the heaters has shorted. Each element should be about 20 ohms, or 8 ohms as a bundle.

• Logic

July 9, 2021 at 12:28 pm

Not sure if you already have this diagram but here it is

Vulcan-VSX.jpg 38 KB Image File - Click to view Copy Download Link
  • Dtimm

July 9, 2021 at 12:44 pm

Looks like I have narrowed it down to the High Limit Tstat.. Thanks for all of your input.

• fixbear

July 9, 2021 at 3:15 pm

I do have that diagram now. The high limit would not normally blow a fuse. Unless it got exposed to steam, water, or cleaning agents. But if you have power going into the high limit but not out, you may have found your problem.

• fixbear

July 9, 2021 at 3:17 pm

By the way, was the ready lamp lit through all this? If it was, the high limit would have to be the open.