Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Convotherm 4, Bottom Burner – Gas Burner technicians. Convotherm 4, Bottom Burner – Gas Burner technicians.

• ectofix

October 18, 2017 at 5:39 am

I had that same meltdown occur numerous times on our Rational 202 (same size as yours).  More about that in a second…

About that broken stud:  It’s spot-welded to the heat exchanger flange, so you’d need to remove the heat exchanger from inside the oven to weld on a new stud.

However, you should consider probably just replacing the heat exchanger and all ITS gaskets along with all those gas burner components you’re going to replace due to the meltdown.  I’d also replace the metal mesh burner.  So, pretty much everything for that particular heat exchanger all the way back to the gas supply feeding it.

NOW.  In my case, I dealt with numerous meltdowns of that ridiculously plastic burner blower/air-gas mixer…and the plastic shroud housing it all.  Initially I’d related it to an electrical connection problem not energizing the burner blower when it should and possibly causing backflash of the gas.  INDEED I DID find that the wire harness (in Rationals) supplying that blower was fragile – ultimately causing the wire strands to abrade within the plugs down to a final strand, then result in failure of the motor to operate.

HOWEVER…after chasing my @$$ addressing those issues and replacing several burner assemblies in a six week period, I was at wit’s end and asked my boss to call in Rational’s authorized service company.

The guy who showed up apparently had better eyes than I…had spyed a crack in the heat exchanger…and even pointed at it to show me.

I really never saw it (the crack), didn’t question it.  After all, whatever he decided to replace was good for a 30 day labor/90 day parts warranty.  If what he did lasted through those periods, then it would’ve far surpassed my bumbling through replacing melted plastic  burner components every couple of weeks.

SO…he replaced EVERYTHING I’ve advised you to do.  I shouldn’t say this (for fear of hexing my oven) – BUT…I haven’t had any similar problems with that oven for nearly two years.

As to WHY this only happened on my one-and-only 202G…I don’t know.

Anyway, I hope this helps.  Although I’m sure you have it, here’s a copy of their part list.  The heat exchangers are on pages 33 & 34:

http://download.partstown.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Reedy-PartsTown-Site/-/en_US/manuals/CLE-C4_pm.pdf