Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Alto-Shaam Combi 20-20 Gas Alto-Shaam Combi 20-20 Gas

• ectofix

November 9, 2017 at 8:56 pm

I’m not a factory trained tech, but I’m well studied on Rationals.  We have so many of them that SOMEBODY had to become the duty expert.  I’m the demented person who did so.

I don’t think Rational knows or understands how confusing their “way of things” or their application of model numbers can become SO confusing to you and I.  I had to weed through all of that and therefore bear more info about them than any “rational” person should…with regards to seemingly irrelevant constructive or historical details.

So, are you SURE it’s a SCCWE202G?

Here’s some TMI that I’m throwing at you which prompts that question:

In the 5th digit of the oven’s serial number is a letter which denotes the oven’s version.  Here are the VERSIONS they made of the SCC (Self-Cooking Center) ovens.  You might also find the version to be denoted as the oven’s INDEX within their technical manuals:

INDEX E – an original SCC oven.  Began production in 2004.  Has a Cleanjet system using tablets. INDEX F – There was none for the SCC.  Only the CM (CombiMaster) had a version F. INDEX G – The version G ovens look just like the version E to the untrained eye, but has a drawer next to the hand shower for inserting CareTabs…made of citric acid.  CareTabs are fed in there to be dilute with water to then be pumped into the steam generator for a mild deliming process. INDEX H – Had a new user interface (touch screen).  All new electronics.  Just about everything inside was new.  Still the original SCC cabinet, though.  Originally toted as the White-Efficiency (WE).  Later software upgrades would make it a 5 Senses (5S) oven. INDEX I – They dropped the WE suffix from the model to just call them just the SCC again.  The “I” ovens incorporated LED lights in the doors, triple-paned glass…and I’m sure other upgrades.

FWIW:  The letters A to D were used up during production of Rational’s CPC ovens – made until 2004.

Rational went from version “H” to “I” in mid-2016.  The changes between the “H” and “I” are sketchy to me, since I don’t have an “I” oven.  Otherwise, I know of everything they made from 1994 to 2004 (the C-Lines and CPCs prior to the SCC) and all SCCs from 2004 until early 2016. 

Since 1999, the serial numbers sixth & seventh/eighth & nineth digits indicates the year/month the oven was made (respectively).  So a serial number such as G22SH1602XXXXXXX would be a gas-fired 202-sized White-Efficiency oven made in Feb of 2016.  The seven Xs are just the numbered sequence of when they rolled out of the factory.

Anyway.  Enough of that. 

Just because they only had that oven for six months doesn’t mean its only six months old.  I say THAT because two of my newer ovens were already two years old when we got them. 

So, the most important information you need in order to seek out a part for that oven is the serial number.  I’m sure that your “hour” with them on the phone brought that serial number up, so this information may be my own inaccuracy as an tech untrained by the factory and I need to learn more.  But…maybe the “irrational” info I’m providing here for their ovens up until 2016 will be helpful to you or others later on.

I DID research Rational’s service partner portal by using an appropriate version “I” oven serial number format and looked at their on-line parts breakdown.  YES, that door glass is only offered as a bundle – part number 87.01.415.

If the oven has a “G” in the fifth digit of the serial number, then you’ll only need a single-pane glass – part number 24.00.212.

They are obviously not interchangeable.

Either way, I’m certain that the price(s) will serve as their motivation to use greater care when loading an oven that has a predominantly glass door…which all combi-ovens do.

For any further details on this matter, we need a badbozo2315 to show up here.