Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums I have a Blodgett BX-14G Combi-oven steamer. the manifold gaskets above the igniter keeps leaking.  we have changed gasket and “L” brackets.  retightened. stops leaking for a bit but just temporarily. any ideas ? I have a Blodgett BX-14G Combi-oven steamer. the manifold gaskets above the igniter keeps leaking.  we have changed gasket and “L” brackets.  retightened. stops leaking for a bit but just temporarily. any ideas ?

• fixbear

December 16, 2017 at 7:59 am

Your observations are right on.  I know of no one that just started out in this trade unless they were second generation.  A high percentage had previous experience due to military obligations.  Most are handy at fixing mechanical and electrical things. Military “A” schools do cover HVAC well, and touch on kitchen equipment in the right ratings.  At sea you don’t have the option of tech support. But the big flaw in the program is you may never see any equipment for years before you are suddenly thrust into it full throttle.  Myself,  I saw Riverine service for 2.5 years before being assigned to a LPH as leading petty officer for A division.. A division is responsible for all Auxiliary equipment from bow to stern.  Including Generators, HVAC, steering, anchor, Elevators., Kitchen and small boats.  Nothing like getting thrown into the frying pan. What was worst, is I was the only one of the 19 men in the division that had any formal training.  The old “Need and Necessity” situation.  Then I came home and started in truck repair migrating to construction equipment repair. Worked in heavy construction till1988  When I got bit by a tick in eastern Mass.Could no longer deal with being on the road 6 days a week, and had to give up a very nice salary. so went back to HVAC.  Obviously restaurant customers that like you and trust you try to bring you into equipment repair.  I trued to avoid it for years till a customer had a service agency come in and tell him his Vulcan snorkel was broke and he would have to replace it.  After looking at it, They had miss-wired the load control.  Some weeks later the same service company couldn’t fix their Moyer Diebel dish machine after a new chemical company conversion. They simply forgot a jumper.   Started to develop sources and went on from there.   And like you say, one learns from every day and every repair. Some are routine and boring while others are challenging and require a bit of thought.  I was also lucky enough to have a service company about 50 miles away that it was profitable for them to come up here for small jobs. So they gave me discounts and helped me through the learning curve of kitchen equipment.

The one thing I can say about this business,  is one must fully understand the manufacturers design, safeties,  and intended operation to be good at servicing them.  Basically,  “How does it work”.  If you can’t answer that before you start,  go back to the books. I have spent almost as much time doing research as actually being on site and repairing.