Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives How do you set the thickness  of the ice cube in a QO210 model

• How do you set the thickness  of the ice cube in a QO210 model

Posted by guest on December 12, 2016 at 12:00 am

It has a ice thickness control probe how do you a just it

fixbear replied 5 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • olivero

December 12, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Well, I am going to guess because I don’t know the unit nor have I ever seen one.

On Scotsman’s units, there is a little piece of stainless steel mounted on a hinged piece of plastic, it sits right on the evaporator where the ice is built. Depending how far out the stainless is, determines your thickness as when the ice touches, it grounds through the evaporator so to speak and tells the board its ready to harvest.

So if you can access the evaporator you will see it dangling in front of the evaporator.

I would be surprised if its any different for another unit, because that’s a really simple, reliable way to do it.

• ectofix

December 12, 2016 at 6:35 pm

I’m not familiar with Scotsmans that do that, but five years have passed since I worked on ANY ice machines.  Scotsman’s CM3s used a float switch instead of a thickness probe.

Manitowocs are still like olivero said…as far as I know.  The desired bridge thickness is 1/8″.  To crudely gauge that, I’ve used (or once used) a 3/16″ Allen wrench as a thickness measurement tool to preset ice bridge thickness.  Stick that little wrench in there in between the sensor and the evaporator plate, then adjust accordingly to 3/16″.  Then I’d let her rip to observe the subsequent ice harvests and tweak that little screw from there when it wasn’t .  Again, the desired ice bridge thickness is 1/8″.  You can use a tape measure…or a micrometer to measure that. 

If ice production is being inconsistent, then the ice thickness control (that metal paddle-looking thingie) might be tainted with scale or something.  I’ve tried cleaning those when that happened, but it never did help.  A new ice thickness probe generally ends up being the only solution.

• olivero

December 12, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Its really just a grounding rod in some fashion. I’ve sanded them with high grit sand paper before and made em work again. Its just a metal surface, nothing fancy.

All the ice machines I have are Scotsman, I have 4 of them and they all have the type of thickness sensor I mentioned. Those are probably from about 2009 or 2010 maybe later.

• john

December 13, 2016 at 8:53 am

I found a manual covering the Manitowoc Ice Q130/Q170/Q210/Q270 at this link

On page 14, it tells you how to adjust ice thickness for your Manitowoc Ice unit.

The issue might not be in the ice bridge thickness if your ice is thinner than it used to be, you may need to descale and sanitize the unit. 

Remember, ambient temperatures will affect your unit’s ability to make ice. The heat in my building was set very high recently and it noticeably affected the ice.

• fixbear

December 13, 2016 at 10:21 am

Before adjusting it, one should make sure it is clean and the machine is functioning normal. Sometimes the minerals get built up on the probe and can conduct enough current for a false reading to the board. This is true with all machines that use the sensor plate, but especially with Scotsman and Manitowic.

If the ice plate has a problem or the machine is under charged it will also sense late.The ice will be thick on the bottom and thin on top at the sensor

• jeremy-martin

December 14, 2016 at 9:27 am

Also u can place a nickel between the probe and evap coil. Thats the correct thickness to run properly

• fixbear

December 14, 2016 at 12:29 pm

A nickel is about 1/8 th inch. That is the wanted thickness of the bridge, But you also have the water thickness and movement. The actual distance off the plate bridge is closer to 3/16 ths or 1/4 th.  If you set the dimension at 1/8th the machine will trip out on fault due to sensing current before the minimum time to make ice. Most machine don’t use the sensor till at least 5 min. into the cycle If it sees current at that mark it will set a fault. A lot of the machines today have a LED on the board that you can see the contact. Flashing is ok from splash, but when it goes constant it will go into harvest after a set delay.(different with manufacturers.)

• olivero

December 14, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Yeah, it has to be grounded for a certain amount of time before it will act on it.

• ectofix

December 14, 2016 at 4:31 pm

8 seconds in a Mani.

• olivero

December 14, 2016 at 4:36 pm

7.5 in a scotsman……

Page 1 of 2