Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives blodgett convection gas oven DFG-200.

• fixbear

August 26, 2018 at 7:33 am

ectofix wrote:

YES!  That motor is so misunderstood.  The centrifugal switch in it CLOSES to enable the HEAT circuit.  People always think it’s for the START capacitor, which it’s NOT.

That is so true.  A capacitor start motor the switch goes open at speed to disconnect the extra start winding.  Before the PSC motors came out we only had shunt wound for fans and low starting  torque motors. Then the energy shortage period started and some electrical engineer figured out why not save all that wasted Gauss. Added a set of winding’s at a certain degree to a capacitor to make power and return it to the motor slightly behind the main winding’s. Half the power to do the same work.  Problem is the capacitor has to be just the right size or one of the winding’s will overheat.  And it will develop a vibration.   I have had to bump the capacitor size up or down to smooth out a motor in the past,  but usually from a load change in the design of the equipment.  Like a wrong fan blade or bearing problem.  But I have also come across motors that were wound wrong.  Local scrap yard had a truck full of Dayton grinders that were junked just for that vibration I mentioned. Hate to think of all the labor that was wasted to scrape off the labels and apply a judicious sledge hammer blow to the stator.

Page 2 of 2