Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Can True GDM-10 soft drink coolers that operate at 33-42 degrees have a replacement temp stat control that would make them run at 55 degrees to sell collectable red wine . This, True GDM-10 operating temps, can they be changed to run at 55 degrees

• Can True GDM-10 soft drink coolers that operate at 33-42 degrees have a replacement temp stat control that would make them run at 55 degrees to sell collectable red wine . This, True GDM-10 operating temps, can they be changed to run at 55 degrees

Posted by guest on October 3, 2016 at 12:00 am

we have several True GDM-10 display units. Can they have a replacement temp. stat. or controller that would allow them to operate at 55 degrees? we would like to sell high end collectable red wine out of them. They currently run at about 33- 43 degrees.

Thanks Don Smith

olivero replied 7 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • mikey

October 3, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Part # 988265 is for red wine 50-55 degrees

Part # 988269 is for white wine 45-50 degrees

These are both mechanical cold controls (not solid state/digital).

If you need help obtaining the thermostat please let me know.

Mikey

• mikey

October 3, 2016 at 8:37 pm

You can call me if you want to order. 260-420-3793

Sent from my iPhone

• fixbear

October 4, 2016 at 4:20 pm

There is a second problem with running the cooler at a higher temperature than designed for. The compressor is designed to operate at a max temp of 45 degrees. Operating at a higher temp is  in a overload condition. Though made occasionally be in overload, continuous overload will cause premature compressor failure. Bin there, done that. The compressor will take a run temp of 55 degrees if the capacity is dropped but cooling is still a problem. One could add a crankcase suction pressure regulator to fool it, but I’ve never seen one that small. Perhaps a drop in cap tube capacity may be a solution.

I would check for a similar wine cooler for it’s compressor number/capacity and cap tube length and bore.

So, the short answer to you question, Yes but a extreme cost.

• mikey

October 4, 2016 at 4:44 pm

I checked True’s parts store on their website, looking specifically at the model supplied and True offers the different cold controls for various products (red, white wine, chocolate, etc.).  Their units are designed to handle a few temperature ranges depending on what the end user is storing in the cooler. True does not require different compressors for the temperature ranges specified/requested.

Don,

if you want to utilize your units for storing/cooling/displaying/merchandising wine you can do this simply by swapping out your cold control with the one appropriate to the temperature range for the product you want to sell.

• ectofix

October 4, 2016 at 5:45 pm

I suggest heeding fixbear‘s cautionary warning by exploring this further.  You’d be best served by calling True Manufacturing directly at (800)325-6152 to get their blessing.

Per True’s specification sheet on the GDM-10, they DO offer options for a red wine thermostat, a white wine thermostat and even a chocolate thermostat.  Here’s a link to a spec sheet:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/documents/specsheets/890gdm10ldbk_specsheet.pdf

However, that spec sheet is for units “as delivered” from the factory.  The spec sheet doesn’t elaborate on what other differences/changes were made within a cooler in order to add those options.

Refrigeration systems (like your GDM-10) are specifically engineered to operate below 45°F.   Freezers (stand-alone) are specifically engineered for temperatures well below that.  Air-conditioning systems are engineered to operate ABOVE 45°.

So in each category…the compressor, metering device and other factors are engineered DIFFERENTLY to serve their specific applications.  Different types of refrigerants are employed for each as well.

The temperatures range of a wine cooler falls into the category of an air-conditioning system.   A refrigerator isn’t designed to operate within that range.

Fixbear knows better than I do.  However, True Manufacturing are the ones who made it.  It’s best that you call them.

• alnelson

October 4, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Would be interesting to hear the final word from true.

I’m thinking they will tell you to swap the temp control and everything will be good.

• smithd

October 4, 2016 at 7:54 pm

I have ordered the temp control from a supply house that we are doing business with now.

I plan on calling true tomorrow and see what they say.

I will post their response .

Thanks so much for everyone’s response.

Don

Sent from my iPhone

• mikey

October 4, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Alnelson,

This is a no brainer, I’ve worked with True for over 25 years. They manufacture this model to accommodate various products and temperature variations based on what the end user wants to refrigerate. We aren’t talking about a great swing in temperature…what 10-15 degrees at most?  A compressor can handle that swing, that’s what a thermostat is designed for.

It’s pretty simple, I will gladly sell Don the thermostats so he can switch his units over to sell red wine. There is NO risk, no issue, install new thermostats and start marketing red wine.

• fixbear

October 5, 2016 at 6:37 am

I have seen GM-10’s with a amp spec from 4.1 amps to 7.8. It’s obvious that they have different designs and with that much variation, different compressors. I looked up on one I had repaired some years ago and it had a Tecumseh  AEA 3440. Tecumseh spec is a max 45 F. So, what do they use in a red wine cooler? I doubt that that size box would need a 1/3 hp compressor to hold 55 degrees. I know the GM-10’s have a triple glazed door and is well insulated. Beverage display coolers are designed to work in 95 ambient and have their door opened 10 to 12 times per hour. That’s a lot of load for so small of a box. A wine cooler on the other hand may see 1 to 2 openings per hour and need a lot less capacity.

True is a vary reliable and quality manufacturer. But with Government oversight on energy consumption, Each cooler will be designed to a minimum for it’s application. That’s why they always want the serial number to get the right parts.

• fixbear

October 5, 2016 at 7:07 am

Yes, short term it can. It is the loss of longevity and increased cost of operation overall that changes. A proper designed and maintained refrigeration system will go 25 years without major replacement. Improper design can die in 1 to 2 years. $$$$

Page 1 of 2