Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives I have two imperial gas convection ovens. One will drop 25 degrees before recovering. The second drops 50 degrees before recoving. What would cause this to happen.

• I have two imperial gas convection ovens. One will drop 25 degrees before recovering. The second drops 50 degrees before recoving. What would cause this to happen.

sshepos replied 4 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 14 Replies
  • fixbear

June 25, 2019 at 11:13 am

I fully agree to it likely being T-stat problem,  bu as techs we shouldn’t rule out all possibilities.  I have seen the cap tube on the stat crimped and restricted so that there is a delay.  But more often I have seen the sensing bulb miss mounted and touching the oven wall delaying the true temp.  Parts are expensive today.  So I would use my DVOM and temp meters to actually determine what is happening.  The 2 burners are independent to light.  But will cross light after a period of time within the 3 tries. A delay of 30 seconds or so. If it’s a high liquid load in the oven it will drop considerably in that time.

I’m a bit old school,  and like to know what is really happening and not guess. Unfortunately thay’s hard not being in frount of the machine and seeing, hearing, and monitoring it as it happens.  That’s why intermittent s are so hard.

• olivero

June 25, 2019 at 2:57 pm

I whole heartily agree with verifying what is bad, no doubt with that.

I was just pointing to the thermostat as a starting point to troubleshoot, but troubleshoot one must in order to verify it’s the correct thing, I didn’t mean that was it and just change it, just pointing where to look.

I think we do pretty good over the interweb, lol. 

• sshepos

June 26, 2019 at 5:47 am

I agree and will start there. I don’t like just changing parts

• olivero

June 26, 2019 at 1:42 pm

Cool, you know how to test a thermostat?

Page 2 of 2