Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Steamer Thermostatic Trap

• Steamer Thermostatic Trap

Posted by guest on April 4, 2018 at 12:00 am

Hey guys,

I got A 36CGM16300  steamer which has a thermostatic trap on it, I’ve never dealt with these before so I am trying to figure out how they work, what they do and why its making a rattling sound every couple of minutes. I looked it up online and I can’t seem to find out if its bad, normal or signaling it needing changed.

Anybody got an idea?

olivero replied 6 years ago 1 Member · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • ectofix

April 4, 2018 at 5:31 pm

Got a picture or part number of it?  Is it this one:

Cleveland 20559 TRAP,THERMOSTATIC 1/4IN COMP X | Parts Town 

It’s probably the one plumbed above the water line, right?

That trap allows air to escape to prevent pressure build while air is displaced as water enters the boiler during initial fill.  Since the boiler is otherwise sealed, air would compress and build up pressure.  That trap is simply open when cold and closed after it gets hot.

The boiler pressure should be at 0 psi when the boiler is cold and there’s an initial call for heat.  The boiler’s heat cycle is controlled by boiler pressure.  As the boiler heats to the point near steam temperature, the trap will close in response to the temperature rise.

A trap that has failed closed will mess with you if you’re not familiar with its function.  In such a case, pressure will build during initial fill.  When the water probes sense water level for heating, a pressure switch would normally engage the heat cycle.  However, if air was trapped during fill, the pressure built up would have already satisfied the pressure switch.  Therefore the unit won’t heat.

If it’s gotten noisy, maybe some scale got suspended in it and is messing with its works.  I would replace it right away.

One additional note:  Check whatever tubing that’s connected to it to be sure it’s not becoming clogged.

• olivero

April 4, 2018 at 8:40 pm

Hey Ectofix, That sure looks like the critter

Cleveland 101207 TRAP,THRMO W/POL.SEAT 1/4MPTX1 | Parts Town 

That’s the one

Thank you. The steamer is definetley still working properly, haven’t gotten any complaints. It does it every couple of minutes for 1-3 seconds. It seems to be right after it adds water to the boiler, even if the water valve is on for a second or 2. Makes sense how it works, I guess it might just be making noise but still working, otherwise I would be seeing some problems right?

Definitely going to replace it, just wondering if I have to worry about it.

• fixbear

April 4, 2018 at 8:51 pm

It’s just a steam trap. It’s on the steam outlet line to return condensate back and prevent liquid hammer in the steam line. It’s no more than a float valve to prevent water in the steam line.  If you get water build-up in a steam line it can flash to steam suddenly creating a hammer effect. Makes a lot of noise.

• olivero

April 4, 2018 at 9:04 pm

Got it. okay.

But since its making this sound, do you think the part is completely defective or on its way out but still working?

I guess either way its not VITAL to the units operation.

• fixbear

April 5, 2018 at 4:28 am

Problably has minerals in it and can’t drain.  Awful small inlet. They use the Tee and reducer as a collection area.

• olivero

April 5, 2018 at 8:33 am

Yeah. makes sense. I’ll just get it replaced.

April 6, 2018 at 1:26 pm

There are several different kinds of steam traps. Depending on which one you have, rattling may be ok. The little barrel type that Cleveland uses, doesn’t make any noise. Larger bucket style traps are pretty quiet also. They are usually used on building steam lines.  Now, disc type steam traps do rattle, when their working properly.

Now, this is just me. When I’m checking to see if a trap is working, I will let the unit come up to working temp/pressure. With the unit idling for about 20 min. CAREFULLY touch the drain line side of the trap line, away from the trap. If its just warm, the trap is probably working. If its cold, the line is probably clogged somewhere. If it takes your skin off, the trap is probably stuck open.

• olivero

April 6, 2018 at 1:31 pm

Lol, emphasis on carefully?

I’ll give that a shot when I get a chance, thank you.

• fixbear

April 6, 2018 at 5:59 pm

That’s perty accurate Rico.  Cept for losing your skin if it is a leaker. Wet your fingers first!

April 7, 2018 at 5:20 am

Anyone can do it the right way. Wetting your fingers takes all the fun out of it.

Page 1 of 2