Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Imperial Griddle Top Range Smothering

• Imperial Griddle Top Range Smothering

Posted by guest on May 9, 2017 at 12:00 am

have 3 griddle top ranges IR-G36-C all of them smother on the outside burners.  We have checked and set the pressure, resized the orifices, added additional air openings still smothering. Need Help

fixbear replied 6 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • olivero

May 9, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Wha…

“Smother on the outside burners” What on earth does that even mean?

• gasman

May 9, 2017 at 5:00 pm

griddle has three burners the one on the left and right the “outside” burners are smothering not the center one.

• olivero

May 9, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Smothering as in the flame dies out?

Air shutters adjusted?

Are staff passing out due to lack of oxygen?

• gasman

May 9, 2017 at 5:47 pm

No plenty of air for everyone. Just the burners under the griddle are having the problem. the burners are adjusted fine

• badbozo2315

May 9, 2017 at 6:33 pm

>Are staff passing out due to lack of oxygen?

Heh.  I’ve been in small nursing home kitchens up north where, when it was cold out, they wouldn’t turn on the exhuast hood.  After being on the floor working on something for an hour, I was fading out, lemmetellya…

>griddle has three burners the one on the left and right the “outside” burners are smothering not the center one. 

First, make sure the flue is clear. Poke with a section of 3/8″ copper if you’re not sure.

Make sure the unit is level, or rising to the back a little.

Make sure there is no makeup air down current at the flue. Take a flattened cardboard box and hold it about 12 inches over the flue, directing the flue gasses forward. Does the flame straighten out?

• ectofix

May 9, 2017 at 6:55 pm

I’ve never heard of the term “smothering” from a tech before, Mr. Gasman.

Is this at a Sonic drive-in???

Never mind.  Try this:

Pull the griddle out from the wall so you can get behind it. Get some cardboard to lay out a path to walk so your shoes don’t get all greasy. Getcha a nice LED flashlight and get behind the griddle. Watch out for the filthy wall and griddle as you make that venture – lest you inadvertently begin wearing some of it. Shine the flashlight down inside the flue.

Do you see the piles of greasy, crumby buildup in there blocking the vent flue?

Probably the problem.  Blocked air flow.  So remove the flue and clean ALL of that out. Check the burner-tops too.  Might have to remove and clean those as well.

Then tell the cooks to quit using the griddle’s flue as a storage/burn-off space for their greasy spatulas.

Glad I could help. 

• ectofix

May 9, 2017 at 6:58 pm

OMG!  A Badbozo showed up!

• fixbear

May 10, 2017 at 7:42 am

Interesting.  Smother: to choke, starve of oxygen, cover,   So you are saying that the flame goes yellow and long. Eventually lapping out from under the griddle and up the stack.  You never specified the gas type.  It does make a difference..

• olivero

May 10, 2017 at 9:07 am

Well I am glad everyone is breathing fine.

I think the other guys here are onto something, is there supply air coming into the flue, is it under a hood at all?

• badbozo2315

May 10, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Yeah, I’m still alive, despite the best efforts of PT Holdings et all… 

Page 1 of 2