Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Rational SCCWE202G Glass Pane Bundle 87.01.415 Rational SCCWE202G Glass Pane Bundle 87.01.415

• ectofix

November 7, 2018 at 6:24 pm

fixbear wrote:

Across the board, Altro Sham over the years has had the best longivity.  Let’s face it, none are perfect.  They also were the first combi.

Combi-ovens are a European invention.  Both, RATIONAL (1973) and CONVOTHERM (1976), make claims that they were first.

As I understand it, ALTO-SHAAM marketed THEIR ovens as “Combitherm” beginning in 1980, but were actually re-badged Convotherm ovens.  Alto-Shaam had partnered with Convotherm to do that.  In 2004,  Alto-Shaam purchased the rights to the technology and continued production here in the U.S. under the Combitherm model line.

Back in the ’90s and early 2000s, virtually ALL combi-ovens sold in the U.S. were simply rebadged European-made ovens. 

CLEVELAND combi-ovens were once made by LAINOX. MARKET FORGE combi-ovens were once made by FAGOR.

That practice still holds true TODAY with:

BKI combi-ovens made by HOUNÖ and later – GIORIK. HENNY PENNY combi-ovens made by RATIONAL.

Up until the mid-2000s, the European ovens and their technology seemed overly complicated by U.S. standards.  Complex circuitry.  Earlier computerized controls with complicated/confusing user-interface, long turn-around times for repairs (parts coming from Europe), etc. – combi-oven sales never really took off. 

At that time, the only combi-ovens that were prolific in MY market (when I was a field service tech) were GROEN combi-ovens.  They weren’t nearly as complex…and were designed/manufactured right here in the U.S. (Jackson MS).  I only saw them in schools and hospitals.  Places needing to prepare many identical meals at a time.  I never saw a restaurant using them.

I think things changed when CLEVELAND partnered with CONVOTHERM (forming a new alliance in the U.S. market after parting ways with ALTO-SHAAM).  With newer electronics technology offering far greater user-interface, F-A-R improved customer support…PLUS – the ovens being made HERE in the U.S.A. (Cleveland OH), CLEVELAND’s reputation as a mainstream manufacturer reopened the door for U.S. customers to give those complex European-style ovens another try.

So NOW – ten-fifteen years later, combi-ovens are EVERYWHERE. Walmart uses them.  Chain restaurants use them.  Just about ALL hospitals use them.  Just about ALL hotel and convention centers (like my place) use them.

Funny that I still have YET to see any Chefs or cooks capitalizing on the pre-programmed cook cycles.  For THAT matter, I RARELY see ovens used in COMBI mode.

I see them mainly used as just a steamer.  The ONLY use of them as convection oven (just HOT AIR) are the ones we have in our banquet kitchen – where they’re commonly preparing 3000 meals for a group being served lunch.