Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives working on a 4721dd-3gl looking for thermocoupler can you find the part number? working on a 4721dd-3gl looking for thermocoupler can you find the part number?

• fixbear

September 8, 2018 at 12:47 pm

It’s like the sale to middleby has confused the South bend management on who does manual maintenance. And forwarding to Partstown info. 

Southbend has always been on the lead with oven control systems.  I remember calibrating a convection oven from the late sixties and there hydraulic proportional gas control would hold the oven within 2 degrees.  Wild!! 

The millivolt thermocouples are small and easy to overheat with a over adjusted pilot.  The bigger and more robust thermopile tends to tolerate a wider variation of flame.  I think it acts like a bigger heat sink.  But I do know that most thermocouples are replaced prematurely from incorrect or lack of diagnosis.  Often it is the lack of a tap to test or the knowledge.  And because it is the cheapest item in the control system, let’s try this. And non OEM couples are common in big box, hardware, plumbing, and even farm stores.  Of course,  the fit and reliability does not match OEM.  I have found them wired in place, hanging by the tube and just resting on the burner. 

A lack of knowledge is a dangerous thing.