Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums MY WALL EXPLODED TODAY! MY WALL EXPLODED TODAY!

• ectofix

July 11, 2018 at 7:15 pm

They DO use that area heavily. 

That cook line (both sides) has two Rational combi-ovens, three Blodgett convection ovens, a two-battery set of Frymaster fryers, two full Vulcan ranges, a Hobart mixer, two large steam kettles and a tilt skillet.

Otherwise, the restaurant’s main line up front can cover allot of that while the prep kitchen is down.  There’s no doubt that it’s an inconvenience, but the restaurant Chefs always learn to adapt.

There’s been occasions here when a kitchen lost ALL use of their steam table, but we’d show up to look at it and were denied any opportunity during busniess hours to work on it because they’re hopping.  Ironically, they’ll actually call it in just when things get that way, then they tell us “NOPE” when we arrive.  We can’t work on it.

That’s one great reason why we have a 3rd shift.

Hours later,  I’ll walk through (I’m 1st shift) and they’ll have steaming pots of water set upon the griddles and stove tops to keep pans of food hot.  All that stuff set up to serve as impromptu bain-maries.  So…they’re dealing with it.

I’ve denied some r-e-a-l-l-y busy kitchens of their steamers for WEEKS while we awaited repair parts.  Yet, they still cranked out the same food DAILY.

Obviously communication is crucial to keep the Chefs abreast of things.  When they know the gravity of the circumstances, someone amongst them have contingency plans somewhere ingrained somewhere in their brains which must be employed in order to remain open for business.  And…they DO.

This reminds me of about the inception of and our reliance upon the computer nowadays…and how it replaced our formerly primitive ways of of processing information. 

Those of us (like you and me) remember when there was no such thing as a computer to get things done.  As computers took over, all us old croggies always implored the newer folks to learn how it was all done on paper…in case the friggin’ computer crashes.

It was certainly more labor intensive back then.  Far more time consuming and relied on the footwork of runners bearing inter-office envelopes, telephones and maybe fax machines.  It once was all relatively modern for its time.  TODAY, it’s just history.  However, it can be still serve as an adequate backup to still get things done…if folks are trained for it.

I don’t see this situation in this restaurant as being too different from that.