Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives True TS-23F freezer cutting off, not cooling below ~40°

• True TS-23F freezer cutting off, not cooling below ~40°

Posted by guest on September 6, 2016 at 12:00 am

I just picked up a True TS-23F from an auction of a closed restaurant.  I let it sit for 2 days after i got it home before plugging it in.  It will get down to about 40° and then the compressor will cut off and it stops running completely. It kicks back on around 60°.  It cycles back and forth in this range. 

The evaporator fan at the top of the fridge never turns on but from my understanding, this shouldn’t until it gets much colder.  The evaporator does cool pretty well as it does not take long at all to get down to 40°; 10 minutes at most.

I don’t think the compressor is overheating as its warm to the touch, but not hot.

The temp control module is shot.  It would not turn at all.  I pulled it out and its totally corroded and rusted out.  I am about to place an order for a new one now.

Anything else I should check and/or replace along with the temp control module?

buddy-moore replied 7 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • alnelson

September 6, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Yes, the fan inside is controlled, so it won’t come on until the evaporator coil gets cold (coil inside freezer)

If the fan won’t run, it could be

-A door switch issue, either a bad door switch or the door is worn/sagging so it can’t fully depress the door swith.

-Fan motor is bad

-Fan control is bad

-Refrigeration problem so evaporator does not get cold enough to close fan control

-Broken wire somewhere or wire connected to wrong spot

It would take a qualified technician to determine which of the above is your actual problem.

• fixbear

September 8, 2016 at 11:00 am

Could also be the defrost thermostat inside the evaporator or a under charge of refrigerant.. Does the return pipe on the compressor get frosted?

• clintster442

October 20, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Quick update, I replaced the thermostat control in the cabinet and the freezer is working great.  Gets down to -20* and holds in that range.  I’ve left the freezer running for about a month now with no subsequent issues.

Thanks for the assistance.

• buddy-moore

December 2, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Sounds like someone might have put wrong controller in or trying to use it as a cooler without knowing the other components operations. 

Or or just a bad tstat… at least you’ve got it working. Just make sure those coils stay clean!