Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives I have a bunn vpr

• I have a bunn vpr

Posted by guest on August 25, 2019 at 12:00 am

I recently purchased a used Bunn VPR,  filled it until water comes out the spicket, turn it on and the water boils but will not come out the spicket.

guest replied 4 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • ectofix

August 25, 2019 at 7:00 pm

The water shouldn’t boil since the thermostat should only go to 202°.

Sounds like the tank boiled down below the spigot.  If so, then it could be a bad thermostat.  You said you bought it used.  Its failings might be why they sold it. 

Additionally, with it being used, there’s probably a bunch of scale in the tank. 

That machine is a relatively cheap commercial brewer.  Getting a qualified tech to service it may easily surpass the cost of a new one.  Hopefully you’re handy with tools, a VOM…and can determine how to properly do a chemical descaling of it.

• ectofix

August 25, 2019 at 7:16 pm

Here’s some manuals to help you out:

INSTALLATION & OPERATING GUIDE 

SERVICE & REPAIR MANUAL 

ILLUSTRATED PARTS CATALOG 

FWIW: Descaling it is NOT a necessity since scale will settle to the bottom.  However, it can be an issue.  That brewer is just a basic pour-over one.  The main concern you’d have is to regularly remove the spray head and run a deliming spring up through the sprayhead tube.

August 26, 2019 at 5:52 am

I’m good with tools/meters,  I had the tank out yesterday but didn’t want to pull it apart just yet until I got some feedback thanks for the manuals.

• fixbear

August 26, 2019 at 8:42 am

I have a few questions for you.  You filled it till water came out the spray head into a decanter. Right.  Now you turned the power on, and heard the heater warming the water and a small bit of water also came out the spray head from expansion.  Good.  Now you say it boiled, but that would mean you would have a bunch of steam coming from the fill cover and the high temp limit would have opened. Now, after you plugged it in and it got to temp, did you pour a decanter of water in to start the brew process? 

Pour over machines are a displacement brewer. To brew one has to add a decanter of water to displace the hot water in the tank.  The fill tank has a tube that goes all the way to the bottom of the tank so that only hot water from the tank comes out the spray tube. 

August 26, 2019 at 12:14 pm

No I didn’t pour in another pot to displace………..  you may have fixed my problem, no problem……..  I’ll do it today after work.   but I can tell you right now based on what I saw a pot of hot water will be dispensed I’m sure of it.  

Thank you will let you know.

Bill

• fixbear

August 27, 2019 at 8:44 am

I suspected this may be the case.  We tend to assume that users are familiar with the operation when they buy commercial equipment and have serious problems.  Glad we could help..

August 27, 2019 at 9:30 am

worked just fine,  Operator Error!!!!

Thanks again for setting me straight.