Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Why is electro freeze compressor frosting up

• fixbear

April 3, 2017 at 6:27 pm

Those are just compressor protection. Look at the mechanical  drive system for load sensing spring and switch. Auger load is the only way to sense how hard the mix is.   Some brands use a switch on the pulley with a ramp against the spring. Also some new stuff uses electronic load sensing on the motor.  (Rare and expensive) 

I no longer have my electrofreeze books or log-in.   Mix temp should be about 17 to19 degrees with 65% overrun for  fozen yogurt or custard.with 12 to 16% fat .  Air is the profit and smooth buttery taste of the mix.  It may just be they never put the air tubes in place. I always hated the gravity machines. Optionally there may be a timer for standby cooling to control the freeze cycle.  

I should probably make it clear as to why they can’t control soft serve with temperature.  Mixes vary with consistency and fat content.  Dole mix isn’t even dairy.  So they change with air (overrun) and temperature.  If you tried to control cylinder temp beyond storage temp they would give you either slush or freeze up due to the variation of air to product.  But the resistance to the turning of the mix is always constant for consistency.  There fore that’s how they have to control the machine in the production/service mode.  Most machines have 4 modes,  Off, Standby, clean, and Run. Off and clean have no refrigeration.  Standby maintains a safe cooling of the product for storage with no mixing and is temp controlled. Over-mixing will separate some flavors like chocolate.  Run is mix load controlled and usually started by handle pull switch or first switching to run with a timer. Often manufacturers will use a timer that runs the mixer and compressor every 10 to 14 minuets or min 30 sec with handle pull and shifts over the load sensing…And those timers are very expensive..

• burtonmac

April 3, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Ok sounds good.  I will try to locate the sensing device on the machine to see if that could be causing the compressor to constantly run.  And look for a timer that controls the freeze cycle.  Thanks for the help.

• olivero

April 3, 2017 at 9:43 pm

Well, I don’t know a thing about ice cream dispensing systems so I am gonna stay out of this

Page 2 of 2