Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives My ice machine is making some ice but there's a bunch of water in the bottom

Tagged: 

• My ice machine is making some ice but there's a bunch of water in the bottom

Posted by guest on February 9, 2017 at 12:00 am
    We turned it off and emptied it, we think it might need a new filter but I’m having trouble finding it online.
    john replied 5 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • john

February 9, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Also, here’s a handy guide for some issues you may have. Manitowoc Ice Machine Troubleshooting | Parts Town 

• john

February 9, 2017 at 3:50 pm

To better assist you in finding parts for your Manitowoc Ice unit, we’ll definitely need the model number. Find it by looking in one of these locations:

It sounds like the evaporator needs to be cleaned. Make sure it is dry and check it for lime scale buildup. If it is, you just need to descale and then sanitize the machine. 

What makes you think the filter needs to be changed—are you talking about the filter from the inline water supply? Sign up and reply, we’ll help as best we can! Here’s a link to register. https://techtown.partstown.com/login.jspa?registerOnly=true 

-John

• ectofix

February 9, 2017 at 5:41 pm

With no model number, that certainly leaves a lot to question.

The unit which John illustrates is a dinky under-counter unit having an integral ice bin.  For larger commercial units, the actual ice machine is set atop an ice bin and each are identified by separate model numbers.  To get a model on those ice machines, you must open the front panels near where the evaporator plate is and look inside…probably below where the controls are.

Water in the ice bin could be something as simple as a clogged ice bin drain (ice melt).  The bin is nothing more than a big insulated box – kinda like a cooler, but with a drain.  The ice bin is not refrigerated.  Otherwise,it may be something more complicated like a stuck water solenoid valve or water probe not sensing water.  Heck, it could be a faulty control board.

Without your giving better details about where the water is coming from, can’t really help you. 

• fixbear

February 10, 2017 at 6:03 am

On the newer uprights the tag is on the back near the electrical box.

• fixbear

November 28, 2018 at 5:31 am

I disagree with the marked correct answer.  Ectofix nailed it with the mention of drain.  Their are a lot of machines that have been hooked up by well intention-ed people that are not air gap’ed to the drain.  Mostly these under-counters.  I’ve serviced and replaces more of them than I can count,  and most have no air gap and connected to the house sewage directly.  Often in service clubs where a volunteer installed it..  I guess they think installation manuals are not needed. 

The other thing I’ve found with standing water in the bin is not level and heat warpage to the bin liner. Have no idea why anyone would heat the bin, but I’ve seen it. Perhaps trying to rapid cool a large pot with almost no ice in the bin.

• john

November 29, 2018 at 3:27 pm

Working with the host of this server to prevent old posts from coming to the top when people mark an item correct or helpful. Sorry about that guys.