Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums American Standard lp gas furnace, model ADX060C936CO (hot surface ignitor)

• American Standard lp gas furnace, model ADX060C936CO (hot surface ignitor)

Posted by guest on January 14, 2016 at 12:00 am

I am working on an American Standard lp gas furnace, model ADX060C936CO (hot surface ignitor). The only thing that seemed to respond on a call for heat was the inducer fan (ignitor did not heat). I found the diagnostic light giving 6 flashes, which indicates a ground or polarity problem. Polarity was correct, so I dug in and found that one of the leads to the HSI had been allowed to contact the burner, and had of course melted. I figured okay, that’s my grounding problem. I repaired that, and sure enough, next test I got a glowing ignitor. However, no ignition, and light continues 6 flashes. Tested the pressure switch, got 24 volts going through the switch. I adjusted the thermostat so that there was no call for heat, and nothing changed. I powered off the unit for a few minutes, and powered on with no call for heat – immediately, glowing ignitor. I have a suspicion that the short at the ignitor could have damaged the IFC board. Discuss?

galley4u replied 8 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • ectofix

January 15, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Galley,

This forum focuses on cooking, food prep, warewashing and refrigeration equipment.

Are you bringing this question HERE with anticipation that some food equipment techs also do HVAC?  I’m sure there are some who do, but I expect you’d get more visibility if you posted your question within a forum dedicated to HVAC.

• galley4u

January 15, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Thanks for responding!

• alnelson

January 15, 2016 at 7:53 pm

When you say 24 volts going through the pressure switch, do you mean you measured 24 volts across the terminals on the pressure switch?

When you turned the furnace on the second time and the ignitor came on with no call for heat, did the igniter come on and go off immediately? Or did it stay on indefinitely?

• galley4u

January 15, 2016 at 9:53 pm

It may be worth mentioning that when I got this response from Al, the email said I could simply “reply”, but my response did not show up here. This may explain why it may appear many people do not seem to follow up when they get feedback? Just a thought ..

When you say 24 volts going through the pressure switch, do you mean you measured 24 volts across the terminals on the pressure switch?

I mean that when the switch was satisfied and closed, there was 24V flowing through the switch and back to the board.

When you turned the furnace on the second time and the ignitor came on with no call for heat, did the igniter come on and go off immediately? Or did it stay on indefinitely?

Stayed on indefinitely. Thanks!

• ectofix

January 16, 2016 at 5:59 pm

galley4u said:

“It may be worth mentioning that when I got this response from Al, the email said I could simply “reply”, but my response did not show up here. This may explain why it may appear many people do not seem to follow up when they get feedback? Just a thought .. “

Thank you for pointing that out.  Probably my first and most prolific issue I’ve had with this little forum is – the nearly TOTAL lack of feedback from an OP.

Regarding your response to alnelson and from my own very limited experience on HVAC systems:

NO HSI should stay on.  In a flame management/safety circuit, there’s a logical sequence of events leading up to an ignition trial and following it – depending on the outcome of the trial.  Operation of the HSI is a timed event and correlates directly to the circuit’s expectations to prove flame.

Additionally, there obviously shouldn’t be ANY ignition trial if there’s no call for heat.

If everything is wired correctly and you have proper inputs from the relevant power sources…then YES, it seems you may have a faulty board.

Did that short at the HSI wire possibly cause that?  In my past experience, circuit protection to prevent damage to a board tends to be an afterthought by most manufacturers (of cooking equipment).  So…control boards DO take the hit and fail due to the controlled circuits shorting out.

They’re getting better though.

• alnelson

January 16, 2016 at 7:08 pm

I agree.

Sometimes when boards get powered up initially they will briefly power all the components, but if the igniter is staying on indefinitely especially with no call for heat, I would agree the board is at fault.

• galley4u

January 16, 2016 at 11:26 pm

I do feel that you guys have given me the information I need to move forward, and I really appreciate it. Thank you! I have a new board and a new ignitor coming, and we’ll just hope that the thermostat is still okay!