Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives i have a tgm-14r and it only cools to around 50 degrees; could the thermostat be bad, is there a test to see?

• i have a tgm-14r and it only cools to around 50 degrees; could the thermostat be bad, is there a test to see?

Posted by guest on July 19, 2016 at 12:00 am

i have a tgm-14r and it only cools to around 50 degrees; could the thermostat be bad, is there a test to see? Ive had the cooler for about 8-9 years and till now has been fine. I did notice when I turn the thermostat dial it feels like it free spins.

ectofix replied 7 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • ectofix

July 19, 2016 at 3:28 pm

The thermostat’s function is to turn the compressor on or off – as required to maintain set temperature within the box.  On your unit, the compressor and a fan are located underneath the box and behind that grill under the door.  The fan there only runs when the compressor is turned on by the thermostat.  So…that might be a clue as to whether the thermostat is faulty.  So…

If your box is at 50°, but nothing is running down there behind that grill, then it very well could be a faulty thermostat. If your box is at 50° and everything down there appears to be running continuously, then there may be other far more significant issues.

Either way, I suggest calling a service company.