Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Nor-lake R23-S not getting cold

• Nor-lake R23-S not getting cold

Posted by guest on October 18, 2018 at 12:00 am

Nor-Lake R23-S 2 years old not stay cool and icing up. We unplug it and after the ice melts there’s water everywhere. What steps or items should I look at? Thank you in advance 

fixbear replied 5 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • john

October 18, 2018 at 2:11 pm

Hi froggydiver,

If your Norlake R23-S isn’t cooling well, there could be a few problems. First, have you ever cleaned the condenser? If there’s a lot of dust or dirt blocking it, the unit can’t get proper airflow.

Here’s how to clean the Condenser Coil on a Norlake R23-S:
    Disconnect the unit from power prior to cleaning the condenser coil. Periodic cleaning of
    the condenser coil will aid the heat transfer of the refrigeration system and increase its
    efficiency. Cleaning is recommended a minimum of every 6 months. To accomplish
    this, remove the lower front grill from the cabinet. The condenser coil is located behind the
    grill. Use a soft bristled brush to remove any dirt particles that are on the fins of the
    condenser coil. Use a vacuum cleaner or compressed air to remove the loosened
    particles. Replace the lower front grill and reconnect the unit to power. Failure to clean the
    condenser coil can lead to performance loss and compressor failure.

These units need clearance for ventilation, too. The manual recommends 7 inches on all sides. If the refrigerator is near hot equipment, that could also be a problem for efficient cooling.

If the door is opened too frequently, is left open, or if the gasket has failed, that could be causing your issue as well. 

Finally, be mindful of that you are not putting too much hot food into the unit. This is a refrigerator, not a blast chiller, so large amounts of hot food will increase refrigeration time.

• froggydiver

October 18, 2018 at 2:23 pm

Thank you for your reply. I did read all of the same info you posted from Norlakes website as well. These units are less then 2 years old bought brand new and they are more then 7 inches away on all sides. I have many of them bought at the same time our facility was built. This is the only one doing this. Also, not sure if you read but it’s icing up bad. It looks like something with a defrost cycle problem.

• fixbear

October 18, 2018 at 3:52 pm

I can’t seem to find that model number.  Usually NroLake has a longer number. of several letters an more..  But tell me what type of control it has and what type of cooler.   Check the door gaskets and how much it is kept open.  All the water is because the coil is freezing up.  You may have the control set to cold.  Or hot open food being loaded.  If electronic control, you may have a thermistor problem.

• ectofix

October 18, 2018 at 3:59 pm

fixbear wrote:

I can’t seem to find that model number.

Here’s all that PartsTown has. It’s not much:

https://download.partstown.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Reedy-PartsTown-Site/-/en_US/manuals/NOR-NLR23-G_iom.pdf

• fixbear

October 18, 2018 at 4:33 pm

Thanks Ectofix.  Marginal cooling capacity design for a 23 cubic ft reach in.  That means he probably has a restricted condenser making the long run times.  Two years sounds about right for that to be a problem.