Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums The wind vane has broken and is dangling over the bow…

• The wind vane has broken and is dangling over the bow…

Posted by guest on September 8, 2016 at 12:00 am

Just about any other question that’s NOT commercial kitchen equipment-related has been asked here, so why not throw in one about a BOAT?  Not really a question though.  Just a statement.  Maybe this can be construed as a RANT.  I can do that…

(Beginning of rant)

Appears that this Q&A forum that was initially launched as a “For techs, by techs” forum has lost its direction and is now afloat with NO control to maintain its heading…and so is now at the mercy of wherever the tides or winds carry it.

There’s been NO response from ANY of the host members (partstown_chris {you happened to be first in the list}) for some time now, as is evidenced by there being absolutely NO responses to inquiries that are strictly parts-related.  Parts TOWN used to actually do their part…to answer about PARTS…but now they don’t. 

Otherwise, other forums I’ve frequented have an established set of forum rules, a clear definition of what the forum is about, an assigned set of members to be the moderators…and – given the trade-specific nature of our presumed topics – some established criteria for a hierarchy of levels for membership based upon results from a keen and well-defined measure of a member’s level of knowledge.

There’s no such direction here.  I get it though.  Albeit, Parts TOWN has seen many transitions within the past year.  New acquisitions (FESCO, Whaley) and investment companies (Summit, Berkshire Partners) have dominated the course of their future.  So…a little-ole tech forum that Parts TOWN started up nearly two years ago…has fallen into a “OH!  THAT?” category.  So, be it as it may – in the grand corporate world of acquisitions and investments – I foresee the plug being pulled on this little endeavor of theirs (this forum).

Even so, I gotta share some of my experience.

As I naively left behind 20-year military career behind in order to enter the private sector…twenty years ago, my SECOND career led me to discover I was smack in the midst of finding out that the well-founded, privately-owned company that I’d hired as my new employer – was soon to be acquired by an INTERNATIONAL corporation.  So…the CORPORATE set of principles.  The place that. I eventually discovered, drills their scripted ethics into your indoctrination, but fails to uphold and follow through in their proclaimed ETHICS. 

In my the subsequent years there in that CORPORATION, the working environment DRASTICALLY converted from a naturally personable company – with HIGH camaraderie among the employees (YES – a great place to work)…into a cut-throat, bean-counting bunch of newly hired managers that knew diddly-squat about a great place to spend eight hours a day, but were VERY efficient at tabulating beans.   In the grand scheme of it all, that’s REALLY what’s important.  Beans ($$$).  RIGHT?

(Rant over)

I may sound scornful.  I guess so.  I left that OTHER company five years ago…to find it all happening all over again with my CURRENT employer.  Our managerial level…some of them with nearly THIRTY years with the company…is being let go as I write this.

IN THE MEANTIME…can somebody who may be watching this forum (maybe) help out.

My current MOST RECENT POSTS feed is now, for some reason, showing only posts from a year-or-more ago.  Something has gone awry.  SO…for any of the HOST’S members that may happen to be looking in on here…please fix THAT…or tell me what to do to fix that.

fixbear replied 7 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • alnelson

September 8, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Mine is the same way ec. Filled with posts from a year ago with no recent responses.

• davejohnsonnola

September 15, 2016 at 5:46 pm

I am relatively new to the service end of this field after 30 years spent mostly front of house in the hospitality industry.

Have enjoyed learning while lurking and reading your responses here and in hvactalk forum.

Can you recommend any other sites or forums?

• ectofix

September 16, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Dave, thank you for your kind words – both here and elsewhere.

You’ve already tapped into the only two places that I know of that has a forum for commercial food equipment (CFE).  There are other HVAC/R forums, but none (that I’ve found) have set up a similar sub-forum.  Maybe somebody else knows of one.

I take it you’re fairly new at this, so I’ll throw a bunch of stuff out here.  Maybe helpful.  Maybe not.  Maybe someone else will gain something from it.  Nonetheless, so begins my barrage of babble…

Interest in this CFE field can be considered as being just a small extension of the HVAC/R service fields, due to similarities in equipment designs for providing heating or cooling.  Yet, I know many food equipment techs that have never gotten HVAC/R training, have never done any HVAC/refrigeration work…and never will.

On the other hand, I also know many truly trained HVAC/R techs who will avoid working on CFE as if it were the plague.  Some of the bold few of ’em will still go there in order to offer better customer service and be assured of future work.

As for MY own training?  (although you didn’t ask)

I received formal CORE technical training during my military years –  primarily on electrical power generation equipment – with just a cursory overview on mobile air-conditioning (ground support for airplanes).  My twenty-year military occupation kept me focused mainly on the electrical stuff.  I even got to teach it for several years.  Then I retired.

So…like many who do this stuff, I never went through a full-fledged HVAC/R school either.

Entering the civilian sector brought me to doing CFE.  With no particular field of expertise in mind (other than military aviation support equipment), a CFE service company interviewed and hired me eighteen years ago.  Initially, I just did hot-side.  I DID attend some manufacturer’s factory service training and a few seminars.  All of those were EXTREMELY beneficial.

I took on the cold-side several years later.

I don’t know what training YOU’VE have, so I’ll recommend getting all that you can.

Gaining an intimate knowledge of electricity is particularly important in this field.  With THAT…and along with a knack for fixing stuff and getting several months of ride-along time with a seasoned tech – once they set you free to be on your own, you’re well on your way to confronting new challenges almost daily.

That’s tantamount to being a eventually great technician within this CFE field.  Expect that you’ll always be challenged by yet ANOTHER “something” you’ve never seen before – and so yet AGAIN, you get the opportunity to learn something new today.  It keeps you on your toes and wanting to master it.

I suggest indulging in ALLOT of reading.  Read & study books… for instance, on say – Electrical Theory.  Once you got what can get from it, find ANOTHER book on the same subject…to see it all again from differing perspectives on the topic.

Do the same for ANY technologies that are new to you…or you don’t understand…or have questions about it.  Look for answer on new stuff.  Dedicate some defined off-time for doing this.  You’re FAR better prepared for the next time.

You’ll also want to eventually become knowledgeable on applicable regulatory topics.  OSHA.  NFPA. NEC. FDA.  Etc.  Those organizations are all VERY broad in their scope, but they all touch upon CFE functions and proper maintenance, so you only need to know how each applies. 

I also do certainly suggest tapping into the manufacturer’s websites.  Go to them, learn to navigate them and see what they do offer (or don’t) as technical information.  Everytime you learn of another manufacturer (which there are HUNDREDS of), write the name down, go home and research their website.

Also put yourself together a list of manufacturer’s tech support phone numbers.  Do NOT be reluctant in calling them while on a job site.

Even after my fourteenth (and last) year doing field service work (I’m in-house now), I called at least one manufacture a day for tech support (THANK YOU for cell phones).  Bear in mind that you are the eyes and ears standing in front of the equipment and they can fill in that void of knowledge you’re needing about the equipment.  Whatever time you’re spending bumbling around trying to understand “what the heck” is going on…can quickly be explained and resolved through a simple phone call the manufacturer.

That’s all I have to say right now.  AGAIN…insofar as there being other forums or on-line resources to learn from, there really isn’t much.  However, I hope I’ve given you (and anyone else entering this trade) some directions on places to go and things to do.

So with that, be ready to get dirty, grungy, greasy, stinky, sweaty and to spring a few leaks (of blood) during your repair efforts.  Always be on the lookout for appropriately-sized CLEAN boxes to flatten and sit upon…when needing to hunker down on the floor in front of their broken fryer.

It’ll seem like chaos when you’re called there when there’s a full, Friday night dining room, but don’t be afraid to put a claim on your territory by telling the frantically busy and bustling kitchen staff to NOT attempt USING the fricken fryer that you’re working on…since IT DON’T WORK anyway!

By the way.  If you have to run to the truck for tools/parts, telling them to NOT walk on your clean/flattened box is pointless.  Lean it upright against the unit or pigeon-hole it somewhere if you want to avoid their tarnishing it with greasy/wet footprints.

• davejohnsonnola

September 16, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Once again, your reply is insightful and thorough.

I got an associate degree in HVACR in the late 1980s from a community college that was closing down it’s program and was taught by a fossil who said we’d never have to learn about recycling refrigerant,  “cause all that ozone layer crap is just propaganda put out by the commies”. The few pieces of lab equipment that were functional were WWII surplus. Took that scrap of paper degree and tried to apply it to a real university for mechanical engineering but differential calculus convinced me to stay in the hospitality industry.

I was young, tips were good, and the bar business in New Orleans was a blast. Wound up working in the same 1200 room hotel for over 23 years in a variety of beverage operations until Hurricane Katrina and the failure of the federal levee system put an end to that.

I’ve mostly done my own automotive and home repairs over the years. Not always in the most efficient or cost effective manner, but always with a hard head and stubbornness. I’ve often spent more $ on tools to do a particular job than it would have been to pay someone else to do it professionally and in half the time.

The past 11 years have been employed six months out the year at a horse racing track. 500 set restaurant, seven bars, seven concession stands, in the grandstand, four kitchens, walk in fridges/freezers and ice machines spread out over. I am not officially a maintenance person, much less a technician. I’m just the guy who runs the loading dock and does inventory controls, who happens to be handy and has a few tools in his truck parked out back.

My corporate employer apparently would rather pay service providers weekend and emergency call out fees instead of  in house employee benefits or preventive maintenance costs for equipment. Go figure. I can’t.

I generally receive panic calls during the middle of rush hour from minimal wage seasonal concessions employees who are not trained on the equipment they operate or have the least inclination to care about if they damage it. I try to triage and minimize the calls for service due to operator errors and obvious cords unplugged or valves shut off. If it is something I don’t know what I’m doing or looking at, will note the make and model information, take photos, and call to schedule the appropriate service provider. Before the techs come, I try to have product removed or otherwise have the area around the equipment clear. Yeah, I am your cardboard box provider as well.

A few years ago started putting together an inventory of the equipment’s model numbers and .pdfs of service and installation manuals. Put the refrigeration equipment on a schedule of condenser filter replacement and cleanings. Want to get into cleaning the ice machines on a regular basis. This is really not part of my job description, just something that caught my fancy and I try to squeeze in during my down time at the track.

This past year enrolled online at:

Learn Appliance Repair Online with Master Samurai Tech

am finishing the fundamentals course and beginning the advanced schematics course.

Also spend a couple of hours or more a day with youtube, khan academy or any other free online educational resource, not all CFE related. Also have interests in solar energy, LED conversions, automation controls and permaculture.

The other six months out of the year I piddle on my farm in Costa Rica.

Need to figure out a way to make money down there. Slowly moving my tools down every off season. Eventually want to be the overpaid handyman for rich gringos and clueless bar operators down there year round.

• alnelson

September 17, 2016 at 8:56 pm

That’s really cool Dave.

Hopefully your employer appreciates the great service you are doing for them.

• davejohnsonnola

September 17, 2016 at 9:07 pm

The F&B director does, and has tried to convince me to stay year round forever. Gives me a lot of free rein and appreciation.

At this stage of life I might not like it so much if I had to do it 50 weeks/ year!

• fixbear

September 18, 2016 at 4:53 pm

Dave, go to a refrigeration supply house and look for a RSES pamphlet on the counter. If you don’t see one, Ask. The will know when they meet and have contact numbers and the location for there meetings. They hold training seminars at every  meeting and the ability to get certifications in a lot of different parts of refrigeration and electrical.

They will also keep you advised of Manufactures training in you area. If you join they have a great magazine.

I would also recommend buying a copy of Modern refrigeration and read it. You will find all kinds of views from most everyone around, but having the knowledge of how something works and why the manufacturer made it that way will provide you with a insight to correctly diagnose problems and make corrections. After 50 years plus of working at this, 80% of the tech’s out there do not understand the core principles of the refrigeration industry. Especially defrost .