Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives I have a Duke E101G Convection Oven that is Not Firing — not sure what the problem is.  It takes a long time to get to temp, but when food is put inside it seems to never make it to temp?

• I have a Duke E101G Convection Oven that is Not Firing — not sure what the problem is.  It takes a long time to get to temp, but when food is put inside it seems to never make it to temp?

Posted by guest on November 16, 2016 at 12:00 am

I have a Duke E101G Convection Oven — the Convection oven is not firing — When I took the lower shield off I see the pilot is on, but I’m Not seeing any flame coming out of the flu although the Thermostat is on and the light is staying on showing that it has NOT made temp yet?  When I first got to the customer only the right side of the flu was firing, so I took the left side off and blew it out, but when I put everything back NOW it is not firing on either side at all?  Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Jonathan

olivero replied 7 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • olivero

November 16, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Well, that;s interesting, there are not too many reasons an oven won’t fire.

You have a pilot so unless its a test pilot that lights as a pilot test for the gas valve to confirm gas before firing the main burner THEN it sounds like you lack gas. Did you check manifold pressure on that side?

Now, a Flu is an exhaust so when you say the right side of the flu was firing, I get confused because that’s not supposed to be firing, its supposed to be exhausting, did you mean the right side burner or one of the 2 burners or what exactly are we talking about here.

Yeeah, read it again, still confused. Please elaborate.

ITs really, fairly simple. To give you some stuff to think with, a pilot is lit and when you turn the oven on, a voltage is sent to the coil of the gas valve opening it up and sending gas to the burner, the pilot then lights the flame, a current is sent through the flame, being rectified from AC to DC which then grounds back to the ignition module or gas valve or firing module or whatever this unit uses, that signal going back is what keeps the flame alive but it sounds like you don’t have that.

So here is another question, does the system run depending on the pilot? Does the pilot stay lit when you light it?

Are you sure there is a pilot and not a hot surface igniter or spark igniter?

AND do you own a multi meter?

• ectofix

November 17, 2016 at 3:30 pm

I got to looking at the manual on that oven this morning.  The ignition module is energized solely by the thermostat output.  When the tstat satisfies, all power is removed from the module.  The pilot and the main burners go out.

When the module trials for ignition, it must prove pilot flame and then turns on the main burner.  If it doesn’t sense the pilot for some reason, it also disables the pilot solenoid valve.

If the pilot comes on and stays on, but main burner doesn’t come on, there’s several possible problems:

Faulty ignition module Faulty main burner solenoid valve Faulty wiring between the module and valve A gas blockage at the main burner

All this under the assumption that the main burner is correctly installed.

• olivero

November 17, 2016 at 4:05 pm

I feel like we answer faster than the originator of the problem needing help, kind of defeats the purpose in my eyes.

• ectofix

November 17, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Although he shows up as Jonathan Heisey on the home page here, he shows as just a GUEST up there at the beginning of this thread.  Like many others who happen through here, he just blasted away with his question but didn’t join – so he can’t answer until he does.

Same for Donna with her 1997 Thunderbird that won’t start…

• ectofix

November 17, 2016 at 5:13 pm

I get what you mean though.  Aggravating to put thought, research and time to compose an answer without ANY feedback from the one you did all that for.  It’s akin to someone barging into a room, asking a question, getting a useful answer or was asked questions for details which might lead to a solution – only to watch them turn around and walk out without so much as a THANK YOU.  Friggin’ rude.  That’s the way of the internet, though.

I’m not fond of how this forum is set up due to THAT and for the number of folks that obviously want an easy DIY-type of an answer.  I RARELY encourage DIY as it is – due to not knowing how capable that DIYer is.

• olivero

November 17, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Yup , very true. Maybe I iwll get tired of it soon, don’t mind helping but never know if it actually helped or not.

DIY is really just depending on if the person has an idea of what they are doing, worst case, they break it more than it was or get hurt. Either way its up to them which route they go, if they ask here I will help them but if they mess it up, its on them.

• john

November 18, 2016 at 9:11 am

olivero ectofix, I definitely understand the feeling. I’ve considered making a push for sign ups only, but based on my experience at other forums, I can’t say it would stop the one-post wonders. How many times on other sites have you seen a person ask a question, and perhaps even say “I’ll report back tomorrow,” but that day never comes? I suppose it’s possible that with a sign up, users will be more likely to reply (especially if their problem isn’t solved), but I have to wonder how many of these guest users wouldn’t bother asking at all if they had to sign up. I am curious to know your thoughts.

Even though the questions here don’t apply to me directly (my equipment isn’t broken, after all),  I find value in your responses. Sometimes I use it as a learning opportunity, other times I get a good laugh, especially from you ectofix. I know others read your posts as well, even if they are lurking and don’t respond. 

If you have thoughts or ideas, I am always open to hearing them. 

• olivero

November 18, 2016 at 9:34 am

Well, I personally think that if you made it so only people that are members could ask, they would come back. The only reason they would not then ask the question is if it was not worth the 5 minutes it takes to sign up at which pint they would not come back anyways.

I think you got a good idea to make it sign ups only. Guests can watch and read but can’t say anything until they sign up.