Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Our t49 just stopped cooling but the fan is still running is there a reset button

• Our t49 just stopped cooling but the fan is still running is there a reset button

Posted by guest on September 29, 2016 at 12:00 am

Out t 49 just stopped coolin but the fan is still running is there a reset button ?

olivero replied 7 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • ectofix

September 30, 2016 at 7:43 am

No reset button.

The fan you speak of is inside the cooling compartment?  It (or those, since there’s probably more than one up top there) will run constantly.  If the unit isn’t cooling, then that requires checking out what’s going on down underneath in the condenser section.

If the condenser fan is also running, then there’s most likely an issue with the refrigeration system (i.e., compressor, leak, system blockage, etc.).  If NOTHING is happening down there, then probably an electrical issue (i.e., bad thermostat, faulty wire connection(s), etc.).

FYI: The fan down below only runs when the compressor runs.

In either case, if the thermostat is set properly and the box is not cooling, then you need to call a service company so they can take a look at it.

• fixbear

September 30, 2016 at 1:05 pm

You never specified which fan. I’m assuming that you mean the condenser fan, underneath the box. Most True units I’ve worked on see this problem after about 5 years if the condenser is not cleaned monthly or cleaned wrong. This limits the cooling capacity of the compressor and raises the head temperature and pressure. This causes the compressor to work in a overload condition and makes the limit open and restart in a loaded condition. This causes premature starting control problems (relay and condenser).

Ok, if you have a small but bright flashlight and a screwdriver (usually #2 Philips) you can remove the lower front cover. Just like you do to clean the condenser every month or two. Twice a month in Cottonwood season and high traffic areas like next to a door..

Unplug the condenser from the chassis.(usually on the center post, or right side.) Check with a flashlight that the condenser is clear.(it can look clear on the surface, but plugged in the center)  Re-plug in and check if their is a adequate airflow. Is the airflow hot or cold? Did the fan start normally?  Do you hear or feel the compressor running? Is the top of the compressor hot or just warm? How hot is the liquid line coming out of the bottom of the condenser? Check to suction side pipe about 4 to 6 inches away from the compressor. Cold? Icy? or warm? Answer to these questions and one can narrow down where you will have to look.

Beyond this you will need a license and training and equipment go farther. A refrigeration service company is valuable for just this.

• olivero

October 5, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Nailed it.