Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums general convection oven question

• izzygreen

March 31, 2017 at 10:01 am

So I’ve done a bit of research into this, apparently Vulcan offers what they call Sabbath mode ovens, it’s for the Kosher caterers, Jewish law prohibits manipulating electricity on their Sabbath, so they actually installed a switch to cancel out the door switch leaving all the components running so the door can be opened and closed. Check out the schematic Vulcan sent me for this feature.

• techjoeb

March 31, 2017 at 10:02 am

Other than safety (which is a huge concern) if the unit is in warranty you just voided said warranty. ectofix has a point. I want to stay out of court. 

-Joe

• olivero

March 31, 2017 at 10:53 am

Ya know, I believe its lighting a fire is what it says they can’t do. 

Not that its important in this case but I thought I would mention it.

I am telling ya, if you email them and they said “Yup! Go ahead” you don’t have anything to worry about, they are authorized to make as many changes as they want without you knowing about it and changing **** left and right and they do it ALL the time so if they authorize you to change it, then you are good. 

They can’t drag you in court for a change they authorized, or they can but they won’t get far OR have your customer sign a waiver saying they asked for it and you are not liable. If court is what everyone is worried about, paper trail is the way to go.

• fixbear

March 31, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Nice,  Never seen that mod, but have seen it in domestic convection’s..

I still wonder why the customer wants this feature?  What does he think he will gain?

• ectofix

March 31, 2017 at 8:48 pm

olivero presented a question in another thread about TRAINING available for folks working on cooking equipment.  I’d suggested there’s not much else except CFESA.

Reflecting upon THIS thread, perhaps I should suggest to CFESA that they add “religion” into their training syllabus.

My employer’s rather LARGE property – serves as a venue for many  LARGE conventions.  Some of those groups bring in their own staff of Chefs.

Several years ago, a visiting group’s Chef had chosen a particular kitchen that would meet their standards.  So…it was relinquished to their needs for their entire stay.  However, for being a conscientious host that he is, one of our resident Chefs called in one of the combi-ovens for a noise the blower motor was making.

One of our guys shows up to address the issue and was PROMPTLY told by the visiting kitchen staff that he was NOT to touch it!

WHY?

Because that oven had been BLESSED.

So our tech obviously went no further with the problem called in – left the kitchen…and closed out the service call.

Now that I think about it…that problem was NEVER called in again.

Hmmm…

• olivero

April 1, 2017 at 11:53 am

Lol, I don’t know how much people run into this type of stuff, I only read about it in some equipment manuals offering the mod but I didn’t actually think people used it THAT much, figured it might be a restaurant here and there, would have never thought hired chefs would do that type of stuff in other kitchens.

Page 2 of 2