Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Cast iron heaters are warped, why?

• Cast iron heaters are warped, why?

Posted by guest on March 21, 2016 at 12:00 am

On one of my Vulcan broilers, gas fueled, 36SB1 the heaters or manifolds are warped severely, pretty much bending the cast iron out of range of where it should be in order to heat the food. IS there a way to avoid that when replacing them. I know wrought metal can warp but I did not think cast iron would.

Any ideas?

olivero replied 8 years ago 1 Member · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • ectofix

March 21, 2016 at 7:34 pm

In due time, the bending, contorting and failure of those RADIANTS is VERY typical in salamanders, broilers and charbroilers.  Yes, the cast iron burners may also succumb to the heat as well.

They have a rough lifespan while producing all that heat in the kitchen.  Considering their typical usage, the unit gets turned on at the start of the day and it will run FULL bore until the last meal is served.  Their need to operate is relentless and, like  fryers, ovens or griddles, it’s expected to perform all of that during ALL business hours…but at MUCH higher temperatures.

There’s nothing you can do about it other than anticipate the costs for their replacement.  Based upon how long those parts lasted, plan to replace them again in the future based upon an equivalent timeframe.

In your day to day operations, all YOU can do is to be conscious of cranking the heat back during slow times, with hopes of making them last longer.

I’m sure the cooks will adhere to THAT…right?

Otherwise, when you call upon a a technician to replace them, be sure to request that they set the incoming gas pressure to the equipment’s maximum specified  5″ water column of gas pressure.  Their doing so may require installation of a gas pressure regulator…which shoulda been installed during the equipment’s installation.

• olivero

March 21, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Okay, makes sense.

When I replace them, I will make a note to check the gas supply pressure. All of my equipment has regulators on it, should not be a problem.

Thank you.

• olivero

April 14, 2016 at 10:00 am

Okay, here it is. I replaced all $1300 worth of burners and checked the incoming gas supply, it was 4.9 – 5.0″ so that was good.

Here are some pictures, I am wanting to make sure the flame looks correct, I think it looks good but alwaysDSCN0082.jpg good to have a second pair of experienced eyes take a look.

• ectofix

April 14, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Flames look perfect.

• ectofix

April 14, 2016 at 4:33 pm

We have IR burners in all of ours.  The ceramic tiles hold up well to the heat.  Only issues is  getting in there and cleaning out the venturi.

On one model Vulcan we have, I can just pop the top off, lift the burner right out and go at it.  But our other model Vulcan (mounted to allot of our V-series range units) is a real PITA.  Gotta take the right side cover off…and gravity is NOT a friend when doing those.

• olivero

April 14, 2016 at 5:45 pm

haha, thanks for the answer. Yeah, I feel your pain. Sometimes it seems like whoever designed it had no intention of it ever being serviced.