Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Blodgett DFG1xl/AA not relighting.

• fixbear

October 5, 2017 at 12:20 pm

DFG1xlaa

Albumen, Is this your oven?  If so note that it has a 5 minuet delay to refire. built in.  And, unfortunately I do not have a wiring diagram for this one.  So it’s up to you to use the one on the machine for the little things that can happen.  At the bottom of the diagram there is a diagram number. I may be able to get a copy if I have that.

• albumen

October 5, 2017 at 3:13 pm

Oven pic

I got it to upload.

• fixbear

October 5, 2017 at 3:41 pm

That’s the one I have pictured, just a different year/color. Part of the excell series that Blogett doesn’t release wiring diagrams.

• ryantruck9

October 5, 2017 at 4:17 pm

when you say click from the blue box I assume Ignition module?

do you have a steady 24VAC at this module (between THS and Chassis) when you get  a click then nothing?

As ectofix mentioned Blodgett phased out the Blue Johnson Controls Ign. module’s some time ago

often when they are failing you will get intermittent issues, very short trials for ignition, or no trail for ignition

the ignition module may also have no retry for ignition. after module lockout it needs a break in power to the module to reset.(opening door or thermostat turned below actual temp them back up above actual oven temp)

if these have been converted to LP you have some serious gas pressure troubles if you are only reading 1.78 inWC at the manifold in low flame

• ectofix

October 5, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Thanks for the picture.  That’s a new one to me.  Two rates of fire?  Interesting.

I had tried to correlate your oven’s model number to a standard DFG-100 – which I think I can fix with my eyes closed.  All that while I kept returning to Blodgett’s website looking for documentation on your DFG1XL/AA.  I I kept coming up empty-handed.

SO, for my own curiosity:

Does your DFG1XL/AA use a pilot to light the main burners flame?

– OR –

Does your oven lack a pilot burner altogether and simply use direct spark ignition to light the main burner?

I ask because I’ve never seen a Blodgett designed for direct spark ignition.

There ARE other oven makes out there that do use that.  For instance, Southbend (another Middleby company) makes convection ovens (at least the ones I’ve worked on) which use direct spark ignition.  In such an arrangement, an ignitor lights the main burners directly and the MAIN burner flame impinges upon a flame sensor rod to prove flame.

Otherwise, every Blodgett I’ve ever worked on used intermittent pilot ignition.  So, a PILOT lights first.  Then, as the pilot’s flame impinges upon the flame sensor rod and a flame is proven, the main valve opens to supply the main burners.

Sorry to confuse you by bringing that up.  I’m just curious about that oven.

• fixbear

October 5, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Ectofix, your not alone on this. What really thru me was that it had a built in 5 min delay caution on the bottom of the the page that I found the pic on. Must be interesting wiring diagram with the double firing rate.  Hopefully someone can post a schematic. 

• ectofix

October 5, 2017 at 8:59 pm

From my question to him, I was merely speculating and wanting to clarify exactly what possible burner design that his oven has.  It doesn’t sound like the one commonly used in a DFG-100…unless it’s a HSI.

Anyway…

In all of what albumen wrote, he never mentioned a PILOT flame.  He DID say that OCCASIONALLY only the right-hand burner would light – and then go out.  WELL – in a low gas pressure condition, the right-hand burner WOULD be the first to get gas.

YET – in an intermittent pilot ignition system, the main burner would never get any gas AT ALL until a pilot flame is proven. 

So from his description, it sounds like a direct spark ignition system. Therefore, no separate PILOT valve.

Worth noting is that the pilot’s gas pressure isn’t regulated by the gas valve.  It’s raw pressure from the oven’s gas supply.  1/2 PSI or less.  SO…not subject to a failure of the gas valve’s internal regulator.

• albumen

October 5, 2017 at 10:08 pm

There is no pilot light on this one.  It is a direct spark to the two right hand burners.  I think it is a gas pressure issue due to a faulty conversion just like my other one we worked on a few months ago.  I did buy these as a set so the same folks “converted” them so it is likely.   

• albumen

October 5, 2017 at 10:16 pm

Yes Axial fans running no issue and clean.

• albumen

October 5, 2017 at 10:17 pm

I will check the THS tomorrow and let you know.

Page 2 of 3