Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Blodgett DFG1xl/AA not relighting.

• albumen

October 8, 2017 at 8:31 am

Sorry I have not replied back.  Had to work the past two days and got overrun.  My oven pic did not load>?>  Anyway…it is a solid state controller.  NO digital No steam.No cook/hold.  Just an oven with a manual temp knob, timer and hi/low fan + 60 – 80k btu switch.  Here is what I found out.  During my work time, I have the kick plate off so I can watch it.  I have ran this oven hard over the last two days….12 hrs + with different scenarios .  When it fails, this is what I see. The burner closest to the spark (right hand side if you are facing the oven…closest to valve) is lighting (weak flame) but the others are not.  No Proof…shuts down.  correct @Ectofix…fans are running.  Open door or wait on controller.  Tries to light…sometimes it works…sometimes not.  It will cycle for awhile trying to light then quit.  I adjusted the spark thinking that would help,,..did not.  Same result.  I think the gas pressure is the issue.  I did check the burner nozzles and they are propane and clear of junk.  Records show new spark ignitor, flame sensor and door switch 18 months ago.   I think I should order a new valve and perhaps upgrade the controller…sound like the best plan?  Get the right gas pressure…ensure a good spark/control…then check the temp module.  What do you think>

• albumen

October 8, 2017 at 8:38 am

Ok…had a chance to look into the gas problem.  I believe it is a White-Rodgers 36607 dual gas valve which only correlates to a Lennox/Carrier furnace from what I am finding online.  Have any of you ever seen one of these on an oven before?  Did Blodgett use these for awhile and now transitioned to Honeywell?  

• fixbear

October 8, 2017 at 10:14 am

albumen,  With a two stage gas valve on propane you should have a manifold pressure of 10″ high and 5.5″ low. This would reflect on flame rectification for the control. I’ve worked on several in furnaces, but none in cooking. I have also seen proportional control gas from 17,000 BTU fire rate to 168.000 BTU.  With a 98% efficiency less yet. Japanese design. But touchy and requires a temp sensing fuse link for overheat safety if the heat ex-changer gets dirty/mineralised. All in a unit only 8″ X 5″ X12″ excluding manifolds, draft inducers and gas valve.

I expect the next generation of techs are going to see this technology in food equipment.  But it will require outside air supply to keep going. Air borne grease will wipe one out. due to fuel air shaper mixer. No nozzles.

• albumen

October 11, 2017 at 7:54 pm

Got the new gas valve installed today, cleaned and added new spade connector on spark, gaped it at 2.5 mm.  Gas pressures at manifold are 5.45″ and 9.95″ (may trim these a little but happy it is working).    Ignition is consistent with all 4 burners at once.  Hi/LO sequences ignite consistently and show very little yellow tips if any at all.  Contacted Blodgett and they confirmed this unit is part of the XCEL series.  This one is closed.  THANK YOU all.

Page 3 of 3